News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

power supply for train

Started by TNORR, December 17, 2011, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNORR

Will the White Pass & Yukon engine run on track powered by a regular lgb dc power supply? Must you always use the power supply that came with the set

Desertdweller

No, you do not always have to use the power supply included with the set.

As long as the loco you want to run is DC, and the power supply is DC and in the voltage output and has sufficient amperage to handle the load imposed by the motor, it will work.  I would think an LGB powerpack would have no trouble powering your WP&Y engine.

Les

Jim Banner

I hope that White Pass & Yukon locomotive is large scale.  Otherwise, an LGB power pack will smoke it.  N, H0 and 0n30 locomotives run on 12 volts.  The 22 to 24 volts an LGB dc power pack can put out can damage them very quickly.

The Bachmann Big Hauler large scale White Pass & Yukon ten wheeler (4-6-0) that I have came with a 0-16 volt power pack identical to the ones they used to ship with small scale sets.  Measured at the rails, that power pack put out only 12 volts at full speed.  So you might in fact cause damage even to a large scale White Pass & Yukon locomotive if you insist on turning the LGB power pack up too high.  On older Big Haulers, the damage usually shows up as the noise of gears jumping which starts when the motor gets hot enough to melt its plastic mounting cradle inside the locomotive.  On newer ones, the damage can show up as smoke pouring out of the locomotive even when you have the smoke generator turned off.  In either case, do not feel the motor with your fingers to see if it is really hot.  It is.  Hot enough to sear the skin off your fingers.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

TNORR