News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Mantua 0-6-0T

Started by CNE Runner, January 02, 2012, 10:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Jeff - I had the same problem (high center driver) on the first Mantua 0-6-0T I purchased...'took it back for a refund. This one seems to track OK; but is very noisy. I miss the old Mantua products.

Do you know what the problem is? Manufacturers, like Bachmann, produce such outstanding products that we have little patience with poorly running (or looking) units. Mr. Bach Man: You have spoiled us...and I love it!

Ray

PS: Jeff, I will look into those Keystone(?) kits...one never knows.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CNE Runner

PF - I've been in the hobby for over 50 years and still remember the [not so] good old days. You forgot Hi-F drive in the Athearn 'lumps'. I was referring, specifically, to the older generation of Mantua 0-6-0T locomotive. Thankfully, I have a couple of these units ('picked up for virtually nothing @ train shows) and find they run quite well for my uses...I am now about to change my uses from DC to DCC. The older generation Mantua products are not worth (in my opinion) the expenditure/effort to convert to DCC - hence my interest in a Mantua 0-6-0T that already had DCC and sound installed.

It was because I have become accustomed to the excellent products, we now enjoy, that I was so disappointed in the running characteristics of the newer Mantua/Life-Like 0-6-0T (DCC capable; but DC out of the box). Additionally, I was interested in garnering anyones experience with the newest generation of Mantua 0-6-0Ts as advertised in MR.

My comments were, in no way, a vindication of the hobby ala pre-1960...that was then - this is now.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jerrys HO

Keep it up guy's you are making me feel young again. ;D ::)

Jerry 8)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: florynow on January 07, 2012, 06:39:53 PM
Yes, yes, yes, the "rubber band drive" diesels.  Over 250 scale MPH!!!!!!!  I had two of those in 1962 and I felt rich beyond compare.  How could I forget????!!!!!! Man.  I am slipping.

PF

That's how I felt back then reenacting the Great Locomotive chase with a Mantua/Tyco "General" and a Revell 0-6-0T.  ;D

DaveMFnC

I just purchased the brand new run of the Mantua 0-6-0t "Yard Goat" from my LHS fro 59.99. It is DCC ready with a 9 pin socket and has a completely revised electrical pickup system. Gone are the ugly springs between the first two drivers and it now has all wheel pickup. I had an older version as well and It was a piece of garbage, But I have to say that I am VERY pleased with giving the new version a try. No derailments forward or backward and running characteristics are great. It IS worm gear driven as oppsed to a reduction gear so it will be a little faster out of the hole for a switcher, but as it is, it's a great little locomotive and dare I say? Will give the Spectrum 0-6-0t a run for its money ANY day.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)

jward

dave
that is exactly the locomotive i bought and can't keep on the track no matter whose layout i run it on. perhaps they have quality control issues over at mantua? for what i paid for my mantua, i bought a roundhouse 2-8-0 and the difference in quality is night and day. intread of a locomotive which derails on straight flex track even thought all wheels are in guage, i have a powerhouse which will pull about 11 cars up a 4% grade on 18r curves, and stay on the track while doing it.

that's all i ask from a locomotive. that it stay on the track and oull decently well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

beampaul7

beampaul7

I guess I should elaborate on my last post.  I have four of the new Roundhouse old time connies and they are superb runners and will pull a ton.  The traction tires are a big help.  I had hoped that Bachmann would make the Ma & Pa little connies but after looking at a photo recently of an O guage #26 the resemblence seems so close to the little Roundhouse loco that I doubt if they will.  It apears to me that Bachmann chooses not to compete directly with other manufacturer's on specific locos which seems a wise business policy.  So how about making M&P #41 thru #43 Mr B?  You already have the 4-6-0's & 4-4-0's, how's about making us a complete set

richg

Quote from: jward on February 05, 2012, 09:33:07 AM
dave
that is exactly the locomotive i bought and can't keep on the track no matter whose layout i run it on. perhaps they have quality control issues over at mantua? for what i paid for my mantua, i bought a roundhouse 2-8-0 and the difference in quality is night and day. intread of a locomotive which derails on straight flex track even thought all wheels are in guage, i have a powerhouse which will pull about 11 cars up a 4% grade on 18r curves, and stay on the track while doing it.

that's all i ask from a locomotive. that it stay on the track and oull decently well.

I have the RH, 4-4-0, 2-6-0 and 2-8-0. All exactly the same length. They look a little odd when all together.
At least the 2-8-0 would seem to be longer but there are different sizes of standard gauge locos with the same amount of drivers.

Rich