News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cracked gears 44 ton

Started by richg, December 12, 2011, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

I was just reading a post in the MRH forums and someone with a two motor custom painted two motor 44 ton had the cracked gears issue. He bought new gears and wheels from Bachmann and has it running just fine again.

Rich

Tom M.

Sadly, I just encountered the same malady.  In December I purchased two new DCC-ready GE 44 ton chassis from the Bachmann on-line store to upgrade my older Western Maryland units to DCC with Tsunami sound.  I just completed both units this evening and during test running I discovered that they seemed to bind and then surge ahead only to bind and surge again repeatedly.  Obviously, this is not normal.

Upon closely inspecting the drives, much to my dismay, I discovered that one unit had all 4 drive axles/gears split.  The second unit had 3 of its 4 axles/gears split. 

Needless to say, I have submitted a service ticket to Bachmann for corrective action.

Tom

on30gn15

Add me to the tally with the WM #76 DCC given me for Christmas.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Tom M.

Normally, something like this wouldn't bother me too much.  However, the fact that 12 cents worth of plastic is keeping from using/enjoying a considerable investment in Tsunami decoders/speakers and a significant amount of modeling time is downright annoying.  For now, I've got two very expensive static display models.

Tom

Billm10454

Add me to the list also. I have bought 3 of the 44 ton and 2 had all 4 gears cracked.

richg

Get new wheels with gears from Bachmann. That was the intent of my post.
Another option, return the loco for  replacement.
The info for doing that is in this site.
If all else fails, follow instructions.

Rich

Tom M.

To say that I am completely dissatisfied with Bachmann and its parts and service department at this point is a gross understatement.  After a month they have still not responded to my service ticket about receiving two DCC ready complete drives from their on-line store that arrived with 7 out of 8 cracked axle gears.

So, while waiting for my warranty issue to be acknowledged (let alone resolved), I ordered and paid for 2 sets of replacement wheelsets from the on-line store (I want to run them at my monthly operating session next week).  Well today the replacements I paid for arrived.  Much to my displeasure, 4 of the 8 replacement wheelsets arrived with cracked axle gears.  This is really troubling because in my order I requested that the replacement gears be inspected for cracks prior to shipment.  Obviously, this was not done.

In retrospect, I should have known better.  As I look closely at the parts photo shown in the on-line store I see where it shows cracked gears. 

Regards,

Tom

on30gn15

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 30, 2012, 07:26:08 PMIt's on the right hand side.
It's on both sides. Just like gear/axle part in my Western Maryland #76.
later, Forrest

jerryl

Just seems the cracked gear syndrome has been discussed here for years. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  I've got some old  Mantua engines around from back in the day with no hint of cracked gears. let's figure out how they did it. Until then" You have been warned".

on30gn15

It is a frustration that an appearance is being created of a dismissive corporate attitude of, "eh, so what".
That is not how I desire to think of Bachmann. I want to see them as a "Let's fix this and git 'er done!" outfit.
later, Forrest

Tom M.

I called and spoke to the Bachmann Parts Department manager today.  A very pleasant lady.  Bachmann is sending me 4 replacement wheelsets to replace the cracked ones I just received from my recent on-line order.  A satisfactory "adjustment" was also made on the two drives I purchased from their on-line store back in December that were received with cracked gears.

It is too bad we are having to deal with this cracked gear problem.  I have Kato, Kato/Stewart, and Athearn locos that are decades old and I've never had a cracked gear.  Some smart mechanical engineer needs to do a better calculation on the shrink rate for these gears and build some tolerance in to account for it.

Regards,

Tom

Joe323

The 44ton does seem to be problematic add me to the list of customers with this problem.

railtwister

Quote from: Joe323 on January 31, 2012, 03:48:15 PM
The 44ton does seem to be problematic add me to the list of customers with this problem.

Sadly, the problem is not limited to just the 44 Tonners, it is a well known issue with the HO scale 70 ton GE diesel, Shays and Climaxes in both HO and On30, the On30 railbus, and also is especially bad on the On30 railtrucks. It makes you wonder if it wasn't a problem in G gauge too, since now the large scale 4-6-0 advertising proudly states "Now with metal gears!". To be perfectly fair though, this issue isn't solely owned by Bachmann, it's been an ongoing problem for many years (at least 35 that I know of) and has involved products from several manufacturers in all scales including brass models, early Atlas O scale diesels made in Austria, Proto 2000 diesels and even Athearn HO. It's one of the reasons  that NWSL originally got into the gear-making business. You'd think by now they should have figured out the problem and eliminated it, but it keeps showing up over and again, kind of like the crumbling zinc castings that went on for so many years (since the early 1950's). I have so many Bachmann locos with cracked gears sitting on a shelf in my train room that I have renamed it  "The Bachmann Shelf of Shame". Unfortunately, Bachmann seems more concerned with proof of recent purchase from a Bachmann authorized dealer than they are with recognizing that there's an actual problem with the product.

As long as parts are kept available, it's not so bad, but when the replacements come from the parts department in a sealed bag, already cracked, it's pretty bad. When they are shown in a catalog or on the web in that condition, it speaks volumes for the lack of quality control. From the shape of the shoulders, the third wheelset in the picture also looks like it's gear could be cracked too, but the wheel is rotated to a position where you can't see the crack.

Bill in FL

jerryl

I would rather pay more & have NWSL make the gears for Bachmann. You wouldn't have to be concerned about sending them back, paying the service charge & postage. Also you would have a dependable loco. Most of us have more motive power than we need & if we did have to pay a little more we could cut down on the size of our fleet & it really wouldn't hurt.
   I will say that Bachmann does make some of the best detailed models..including brass. It would be great if they were as dependable as they look....

Tom M.

I recently communicated with the folks at NWSL.  They indicated they have received some request for aftermarket replacement axle gears for the GE 44 toner.  However, demand thus far has been less than what they need to make this a priority project/product for them.

Tom