Bachmann should issue an Allegheny along the lines of the 2-8-8-4

Started by uncbob, December 15, 2011, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

The cost shouldn't be much different as the engines are very close in size and type

The only one available is the overpriced Rivarossi

digitalgriffin

I like my RR Allegheny.  The detail is excellent and it pulls well.

The only reason it's so expensive right now is because it's out of production.  Otherwise you could pick one up with sound for $400 or so.

Is it worth $400 for one with sound?  I imagine Bachmann would give it a MSRP of $500 like the H-4, H-5.  So is there really profit there for Bachmann if they are to compete with RR?

A simple tender conversion on the H-5 will make a decent H-6.

So what's left?

I'm still routing for a H-7 (Simple Simon) used by both the UP and C&O.  There's a big hole in the lineup there.  And UP nuts just love collecting big steam, (ie: Challenger, FEF, Big Boy)

uncbob

Quote from: digitalgriffin on December 15, 2011, 10:31:43 AM
I like my RR Allegheny.  The detail is excellent and it pulls well.

The only reason it's so expensive right now is because it's out of production.  Otherwise you could pick one up with sound for $400 or so.

Is it worth $400 for one with sound?  I imagine Bachmann would give it a MSRP of $500 like the H-4, H-5.  So is there really profit there for Bachmann if they are to compete with RR?

A simple tender conversion on the H-5 will make a decent H-6.

So what's left?

I'm still routing for a H-7 (Simple Simon) used by both the UP and C&O.  There's a big hole in the lineup there.  And UP nuts just love collecting big steam, (ie: Challenger, FEF, Big Boy)

2-8-8-4 is about $325  with sound
Riva's Allegheny is $499

Bachmann should be able to do one for the same price as a 2-8-8-4

blwfish

> H-7 (Simple Simon)

If they build them, I'll come: I'll buy two the moment they come out.

J3a-614

It wouldn't be as easy as some other engines (i.e., other versions of 2-8-4s, 80-inch drivered 4-6-2s, and more variations of Alco-C&O 2-6-6-2s), but for the H-7, Bachmann has 57-inch drivers from several engines, a C&O cab from the 4-8-2 that might work, and a big Vanderbilt tender--with provision for footboards on the back. . .and yes, they ran on the UP, too, (though with a different tender again), and there were also a couple that wound up as hump engines on the RF&P--and with the short Vanderbilt tender used on the H-4!  Actually, the first of two orders for these monsters did come with the smaller tanks, and later some were reunited with them for hump service after the engines were bumped from front-line service by the Alleghenies.  Didn't need all that tender capacity for hump service. . .

hotrainlover

I would get the H-7 as soon as it came out.   And YES I do have the 'Challenger (Lionel x2), Bigboy (RR), Northern (RR x2)!   ;D

PS.  Yes UP NUT!!