News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale class J wiring

Started by axle17921, December 07, 2011, 09:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axle17921

I am going to install a soundtrax TSU-1000 southern steam sound decoder into my class J.  I know the TSU-750 is a better fit but I want the authentic class J whistle.  My problem is that in order to fit it in the tender I have removed the PCB board in the tender and have begun hardwiring it to the wires from the harness that runs into the locomotive. I got all of them hooked up but 2.  the attach to  two screws in the locomotive that receive current from the engines split frame.  Do I solder these wires to the adjacent tender pickups?  If not what can I do with them.  I know they are important.

yooper

Post a hand written wiring diagram drawing so we all can look at it and help you. Too bad the locos don't come with one like they should.

skipgear

There are 6 wires....

Motor +
Motor -
Frame +
Frame -
Headlight +
Headlight-

You should be able to trace them by removing the boiler shell.

I'm not sure you are saving ny space by removing the factory light board. It nestles down over the speaker and sets lower than the speaker magnet. You are also losing the leaf spring pickup from the tender trucks when you do this. You will have to direct solder to the truck pickups and that really hampers their performance.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

axle17921

If you are familiar with the TSU-1000 you would know that your would save lots of space in the tender, the decoder is much longer than a micro-tsunami.  The rear light and some of the other parts of the board get in the way in the back and if you try to position it toward the front the wire harness plug gets in the way.  Neverthe less I got it figured out and hooked up and it sounds and runs like a dream.  I will post a youtube video as soon as I get a chance.   Thanks for the response.