Older Spectrum GE 44-tonner DC to DCC conversion.

Started by on30gn15, December 15, 2011, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey y'all;

Another DCC question.
Earlier today at LHS put a deposit on a GE 44-tonner in Western Maryland paint.
Think it is item BAC-80043, did not note it to bring home.

It is a non-DCC model in the Spectrum line from a couple years back.
Or at lest I didn't see the DCC logo on the packaging or paperwork.

What would be involved in making it DCC - might it be as simple as a board be ordered from Bachmann and screwed in in one evening?

And now it is time to quit multitasking and focus on finishing getting dinner cooked.
And what do ya know, timer just went off.

later,
FSWood

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

richg

Very simple. Turn the loco upside down. Picture what you would see by looking at my below photo.

Forget simple.
You have to isolate the motors which requires some careful work. I mean careful.
Get some #30 wire for all the wiring.
I hope you know how to solder with a fine tip soldering pencil type iron.
More info when yu find out if it is a single or two motor.

Rich

richg

Here is a photo of the single motor. Everyone, download and save the photo to your PC for future reference. This is better than opinions on what really is a single or two motor. 44 ton.
The single and two motor 70 ton where almost the same setup.
The trucks are different in some respects if you look carefully.
Look carefully at the bottom of the loco.

Rich

Tom M.

The Bachmann parts department sells replacement drive mechanisms for the 44 toners that are DCC ready.  It has a single motor that's electrically isolated from the frame.  It is very easy to wire in the decoder of your choice.  I've done this swap for a couple of my DCC clients.  I'm currently updating two of my own WM 44 toners with SoundTraxx decoders using these replacement mechanisms.  The January Model Railroader magazine has an article of another person doing a similar upgrade using a LOK Sound decoder.

Tom

richg

Quote from: Tom M. on December 15, 2011, 10:04:01 PM
The Bachmann parts department sells replacement drive mechanisms for the 44 toners that are DCC ready.  It has a single motor that's electrically isolated from the frame.  It is very easy to wire in the decoder of your choice.  I've done this swap for a couple of my DCC clients.  I'm currently updating two of my own WM 44 toners with SoundTraxx decoders using these replacement mechanisms.  The January Model Railroader magazine has an article of another person doing a similar upgrade using a LOK Sound decoder.

Tom

If the two motor has a cracked gear, Bachmann has the gears and wheels to replace.
A fellow in another forum did his two motor with cracked gears and it runs great now. I have the link to that forum article.

January 2001 Model Railroader has a step by step article on converting the two motor 44 ton to DCC which I followed. I used a DZ125 decoder.

Rich

on30gn15

Quote from: richg on December 15, 2011, 10:01:10 PM
Here is a photo of the single motor. Everyone, download and save the photo to your PC for future reference. This is better than opinions on what really is a single or two motor. 44 ton.
Done deal.

When it gets paid off one of first things which will happen to is the body pulled off to put different engineer figure in cab.

That will allow concrete confirmation of motor setup.

I'm pretty fair with soldering irons.
Only done torch soldering once, but something tells me that's not going to be a concern here  ;D

Quote from: Tom M. on December 15, 2011, 10:04:01 PM
The Bachmann parts department sells replacement drive mechanisms for the 44 toners that are DCC ready.
That would have to wait a few months.
It would give a mechanism for use as On30 or Gn15 with a new body.
Hmmm...
later, Forrest

on30gn15

"Older" means
1.) store opened in 2009 and I'm pretty sure Mike has had it since then.
2.) haven't found it in 2009, 2010, 2011 print catalogs.
3.) it is not DCC Ready like current production.
later, Forrest

richg

Quote from: on30gn15 on December 15, 2011, 11:23:00 PM
"Older" means
1.) store opened in 2009 and I'm pretty sure Mike has had it since then.
2.) haven't found it in 2009, 2010, 2011 print catalogs.
3.) it is not DCC Ready like current production.

PM me. I have the magazine article if you get the two motor.

Rich

on30gn15

Quote from: richg on December 16, 2011, 12:42:11 PM
PM me. I have the magazine article if you get the two motor.
Okay, thank you  :) Will look next time I'm up at Mike's store & it is a fair bet I will be between now and after the first.
later, Forrest

richg

Here is how the two trucks fit under the frame. Very distinctive compared to the single motor.

Rich

on30gn15

Although I haven't possessed any, the 2 motor trucks are familiar via being seen as kitbash fodder for "Critter" locomotives in people's projects posted in various On30 and Gn15 forums and Yahoo Groups.
later, Forrest

richg

Quote from: on30gn15 on December 16, 2011, 06:16:39 PM
Although I haven't possessed any, the 2 motor trucks are familiar via being seen as kitbash fodder for "Critter" locomotives in people's projects posted in various On30 and Gn15 forums and Yahoo Groups.

Someone has turned the motors 90 degrees in the trucks and made a GE Steeple Cab electric loco. Quite a project. I found the link about a year ago. It has a lot of details about the geared portion of the trucks.

Rich