News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-4 "Texas" Texas Pacific

Started by TP Railroader, December 15, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TP Railroader

Understand Bachmann makes a 2-10-4 "Texas" Texas & Pacific HO engine and tender but I can't find one. My Grandfather was an engineer for the TP and my father worked for them for 26 years after WWII, including after the MO PAC bought them out. I would really like to find one of these if anyone knows where I can find one.

rogertra

Quote from: TP Railroader on December 15, 2011, 09:14:21 PM
Understand Bachmann makes a 2-10-4 "Texas" Texas & Pacific HO engine and tender but I can't find one. My Grandfather was an engineer for the TP and my father worked for them for 26 years after WWII, including after the MO PAC bought them out. I would really like to find one of these if anyone knows where I can find one.

Tried E-Bay?  Always the first place to look.

RAM

Bachmann never made a model of the Texas Pacific 2-10-4.  There was a brass model made 20 years or so ago. 

JoeSantora

They do have a 2-10-4 "Texas" in their lineup.  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3002. I don't know how true to the original it is as it shares the same boiler as their 4-8-4,but I have three of them and they run great.

ebtnut

The Bachmann 2-10-4 is a close rendition of the Santa Fe 5000 class locos, which may have been the ultimate expression of the type.  The T&P locos had smaller boilers and much smaller drivers (63" vs. 74") than the Santa Fe locos, so they are not a close match to the T&P engines. 

john tricarico

bachmann did make a 2-10-4 in TEXAS & PACIFIC with smoke
this engine was available from 1981 thru i believe 1987
stock number 41-560-21

RAM

One little correction.  The Bachmann 2-10-4 is a close rendition of the Santa Fe 5011. The 5000 didn't look anything like Bachmann's 2-10-4.  The 5001 class had a smaller tender.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: RAM on December 16, 2011, 12:08:27 AM
Bachmann never made a model of the Texas Pacific 2-10-4.  There was a brass model made 20 years or so ago. 

When you make such a statement you should know your facts. If you do not know do state that you do.

http://www.hoseeker.org/bachmanninformation/bachmanncatalog1987pg04.jpg

These were around for years, some in train sets as well.
Pacific Northern

RAM

I stand by my statement.  Bachmann never made a model of T&P 2-10-4.  Yes they took a model of a Santa Fe 2-10-4 and lettered it for T&P.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: RAM on December 16, 2011, 10:14:36 PM
I stand by my statement.  Bachmann never made a model of T&P 2-10-4.  Yes they took a model of a Santa Fe 2-10-4 and lettered it for T&P.

Well in that case most of the steam engines made by many of the manufactures are also stand ins.

You had better start looking at brass for true models of most steamers. The rest of us will have to do with the generic versions available.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

The Santa Fe Texas-types were monsters. The Missouri State Railroad Museum outside of St. Louis has one sitting almost next to a Big Boy and the UP Giant isn't a whole lot longer than the Texas!

Interesting point: The first 2-10-4 was not on the T&P; it was an experiment on the AT&SF. The Santa Fe put a four-wheel trailing truck on a 2-10-2, turning it into a 2-10-4. But the T&P got naming rights because they were the first railroad to go into Texas locomotives in a big way. And besides, there was already a Santa Fe, the 2-10-2.

The Santa Fe also combined 20 2-10-2s into ten 2-10-10-2s but they were a flop because the boilers couldn't put out enough steam to get them going at more than a drag pace. And that wasn't satisfactory for the Santa Fe, giving the long distances that railroad had to haul freight. So the railroad later chopped up the double-Santa Fes into 2-10-2s once again. (By the by, those early AT&SF 2-10-2s were also the result of a Santa Fe experiment designed to solve problems with decapods derailing when backing down long grades after serving as helpers.)
                                                                                           --D

john tricarico

if anyone is interesed the tender on this 2-10-4 had a gold square outline and large texas & pacific lettering, this is an older bachmann unit from the old days

willis

T P Railroader,
i have a new/old one.
i sent you an e-mail.
Willis.