Repainting James' Smokebox Sides and Wheels

Started by DinoNTrains, December 16, 2011, 02:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoNTrains

Since I might like to paint smokebox sides and wheels of my James model the correct color (black) like many others have, does anyone have any tips on this, or even have a video/page on the Internet on the process. Thank you very much.

PS I humbly apologize if there is already a thread on this. If there is, please provide a link. Thanks you again. :)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

TobyTheTram16

I suggest using a small brush and masking tape.

DinoNTrains

RW James

It's never bothered me until now. The smokebox on the model is glossy black - but yeah, I see now, the support frame under the smoke box should also be black.

And the wheels? Mine are gray I guess. That doesn't bother me so much - and painting drive wheels can be tricky. There is always the chance of messing up things if you get paint into the moving parts of the coupling rod. Plus there is a risk that the paint you apply will be worn off over time making it look worse.

First make sure you have a glossy black paint. I use Tamiya paint which is a pretty close match to the Bachmann colors.

Disassemble the model as much as you can to isolate the parts to be painted. Mask off the adjacent areas as Toby said.

Here's a tip I saw on the DIY channel: After you apply the masking tape, pain the edge the color you masked over - in this case gloss red. That way if anything seeps under the tape it will match what is under there. Additionally, this step will block further seepage.

Air brushing is always best, but not always feasible. I will probably use a brush. Be careful about brushing too much on the first coat - brushing over a partially dried coat will give you a rough finish. If after it dries, you are happy with the first coat, there is no reason to apply more.

If your smoke box has a good finish, try not to get paint on it. If the finish is slightly off between the two surfaces that's okay and easily explainable. Typically smoke boxes are not a gloss finish because they get so hot - even though I know this is the way James is finished, it's not really prototypical.

In my case, since I had altered James internally to improve his performance I have tool marks on the smoke box, so I will repaint the whole thing.

Go slowly and carefully and you should have good results.

Good luck
Rick

DinoNTrains

@RW James: Thank you so much for the tips and instructions.

on30gn15

There were some locomotives here in US at various times from way back in old time 4-4-0 days up to 1950's 4-8-4 which had their smokebox insulated and steel jacketed just like boiler.
And it seems to have been used in UK at least some times.
It may well be that appearance in TTE is based on that practice.

It was practice in UK to be rather more tidy & stylish than like us with all the loco guts hanging out in the breeze.

For a couple examples I could find fast see these 4-8-4s, one Santa Fe, one Milwaukee.
I think SF one is what Bachmann's HO model is based on.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=360846
&
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298516

Will be back in a couple minutes, think I know where to find photo of US old time 4-4-0 with jacketed smokebox.

A Camelback with one, looks like it might even be fancied up with brass jacketing bands given differences in tone with jacketing, http://www.steamlocomotive.com/american/dlw244.jpg

Ah, here we go, this was one of the couple remembered, found a suitable photo of New York Central's 4-4-0 No. 999 while it was actually in service.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dickbolt/RREngine999.jpg

Here are a couple UK locos with sort-of shiny smokeboxes,
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=246340

Maroon 2-6-0 at left
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=209537

This 15 inch gauge Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway loco shows that a semi-gloss or satin finish might be a good one to use http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=159516
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Cheeky_ULP

...What does that have to do with this thread?

DinoNTrains

Quote from: Sparks on December 18, 2011, 06:32:33 PM

My thought exactly. No offense to you, on30gn15.

RW James

Thanks on30gn15. Those are some great examples. I am used to seeing the locos out here in the west with unjacketed smokeboxes. And the diameter through that section is noticeably smaller than the boiler. And you make a good point about British practices, they do tend to go more for the shiny look - though the brass on some of western US 19th century stuff can be pretty sparkly!

He was responding to a point I had made about painting James' smokebox. I had said that it probably didn't have to be glossy and he was correcting me. I'm sure the OP will appreciate this information as well. (Next time read a little more carefully before you criticize.)
Rick

on30gn15

Quote from: DinoNTrains on December 18, 2011, 08:08:08 PM

My thought exactly. No offense to you, on30gn15.

It has that to do with it.
:)
Quote from: RW James on December 17, 2011, 02:08:16 PMTypically smoke boxes are not a gloss finish because they get so hot - even though I know this is the way James is finished, it's not really prototypical.

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

DinoNTrains

Oh, I see. But perhaps you could have said that it had to do with RW James' post about smokeboxes next time. My apologies.  :)

RW James

and I still have a lot to learn about British prototype practices.

But this thread has excited me about fixing up James. In addition to the paint changes, I would like to remove the molded on hand rails and whistle and replace them with a cast whistle and wire handrails.
Rick

DinoNTrains

Quote from: RW James on December 19, 2011, 10:27:06 AM
and I still have a lot to learn about British prototype practices.

But this thread has excited me about fixing up James. In addition to the paint changes, I would like to remove the molded on hand rails and whistle and replace them with a cast whistle and wire handrails.

Cool! Tell me how it goes. :)

RW James

Another thought about James: I don't recall ever seeing him with a headlamp on his buffer. Anyone else? I may try to remove it.
Rick

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: RW James on December 19, 2011, 08:40:47 PM
Another thought about James: I don't recall ever seeing him with a headlamp on his buffer. Anyone else? I may try to remove it.
He's had it on certain episodes, all engines have.

Fun fact: Regular railway practice would require lamp codes based on the train they were pulling. The TV series did this a few times, but not always.