News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie

Started by kelecom, July 12, 2007, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelecom

I have 10 wheeler "Annie" that I got in starter set.  Is there a major differance in my loco and the newer anniversary 10 wheeler.  I noted that Bachman says the new addition has metal siderods and latest drive system.  How much differance if any is there in the latest drive system?

Paul W.

All 10 wheelers are NOT "Annies". The older starter sets do not have the Annie drive system in them, and all the siderods are plastic.
The starter sets still have the plastic parts, and yes the Annies have nice detailing and metal siderods. As for the drive system (and I may be wrong), I think the Annie drive system is now a part of the starter sets as well.
Others will chime in and respond
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Steve Stockham

Yes, the latest starter sets have the fifth generation gear box which is the same as on the "Annie." The trick is to know the difference between a fifth generation Big Hauler and an earlier version! ;) Why Bachmann still makes the Big Hauler when they have upgraded the model with the Annie is one of those corporate decisions that I have never understood. ???

altterrain

The only difference between the "Annie" and current Big Hauler is the exterior detailing. Inside they are the same. Check out George Scheyer's page to see which version it is (but its most likely the latest) - http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#gears.

-Brian
President of

kelecom

I want to thank all that responded, I realized that after I started my inquiry that "Annie" meant Anniversary model.  I just want to say that my 10 wheeler really runs well and you all have made me feel that the additions/detailing I'm making on my Loco is the right thing to do as it really runs strong after 3-years of running outdoors in Phoenix Az., even in plus 100 degrees.

twojags

The "Annies" are a real improvement on the toy plastic drive versions included in sets but I have noticed quite a difference in the Baldwin's that are given a separate identity i.e. #81088, 81093, etc) and those with a much simpler drive mechanism that are included with the White Pass & Yukon set(#900590); the Limited Edition Wonderland Flyer (#900470) and the 2006 Christmas Special 4-6-0.

If you compare the complex drive mechanism on the White Pass Annie (#810960) and that included in the set above you will notice the difference immediately. I don't know whether this is a cost-cutting exercise or a method of eliminating problems with the original versions.

Now that LGB are in trouble would be an ideal time for Bachmann to seize the initiative and introduce metal drives on all their locos.