News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/20.3 couplers

Started by charon, July 15, 2007, 11:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon

Fellow Bachmannians,
Being one of the peon's that has a small indoor layout with only 2' radius curves, has anyone been able to truck mount couplers on the excellent new 1/20.3 scale freight cars?  I realize they would look untypical running around the tight radii curves, but it would be better than having none at all.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Happy Bachmanning,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Matthew (OV)

You might try extending the drawbars....  Kadee has an arrangement like this for long passenger cars.... basically it adds a jointed bar between the coupler and the draft box.  The car spacing is ... well, horrible, but as you say, better than nothing?

Matthew (OV)

Curmudgeon

The only real issue I would have is running scale 1:20 cars on streetcar tracks!
Running that tight is something I have seen done, but only in a Navy Shipyard, and they used a coupler extender to do so.
You would really be better off with 1:22.5 rolling stock and Talgo mount couplers.

That said, making a coupler extension of styrene to connect to the truck should not be hard.
Conversly, a piece of flat brass on the kingpin between the truck and frame, with a brass rod crossways under the end of the car to hold it at the right height with the coupler attached would work, too.

I am certain some one will post a "google" how-to link shortly from their voice-activated software.

VirginiaCentral

Hi TOC, Which shipyard?  I have seen the same thing frequently done at the Norfolk yard.
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"