News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"old time" bachmann 4-4-0

Started by scheek, December 16, 2011, 09:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scheek

I have one of the Confederate 4-4-0 sets that Bachmann put out for the 150th anniversary. I would love to convert it to run on dcc with the rest of my layout but don't know if there is a way to without extensive "surgery" to the locomotive. Any ideas?

CNE Runner

Scheek - Your Confederate 4-4-0 is similar to the Bachmann Jupiter locomotive. In this regard there is no room in the locomotive itself for a decoder (heck, there isn't room for the motor). The motor (as you know) is contained within the tender shell and drives the gear assembly via a driveshaft. While I haven't taken apart a Bachmann/AHM/Pocher/Rivarossi tender, I can safely assume there is very, very little 'left over room' for something like a decoder. Having said that, there are some very clever individuals on the forum that may have better information.

In any event, good luck with the project. Let's hope that Bachmann can someday produce an early 4-4-0 with good running characteristics and DCC.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

on30gn15

This would be another excellent place to inquire.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EarlyRail/
EarlyRail ยท The Early Rail modeling group.

QuoteDescription

Are you interested in modeling early railroads? This list includes railroads both in and outside of the USA. The start of World War 1 is the general cut-off date for this list.

Possible topics include: motive power, rolling stock, broad gauge, narrow gauge, different track styles, early trolleys and interurbans, US Civil war era, structures and much more.

Where do I get horses in my scale? How about people in the right costume? What scale can I find the most stuff in?

The Early Rail Model Kits Cooperative, our kit-creating special interest group is here:

ER_Kits
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

richg

First of all. go to the below link.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/
You can most probably fit a DZ125 decoder in the loco. Just follow the NMRA wire instructions.

I did three locos some years ago with a Lenz decoder. I ran these three with the first generation MRC controller, the MRC 2000.
I used these three at out club some years ago to convince the members about DCC.

Rich

CNE Runner

RichG - My apologies as I [now] remember your posting of the decoder installation in early Bachmann 4-4-0 locomotives. That was an excellent post - however 'way beyond my meager abilities. It would be grand to have an improved, DC/DCC mid 19th century locomotive available. Unfortunately the market segment is probably too small to make the enterprise worthwhile.

Happy Holidays,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on December 18, 2011, 11:13:37 AM
RichG - My apologies as I [now] remember your posting of the decoder installation in early Bachmann 4-4-0 locomotives. That was an excellent post - however 'way beyond my meager abilities. It would be grand to have an improved, DC/DCC mid 19th century locomotive available. Unfortunately the market segment is probably too small to make the enterprise worthwhile.

Happy Holidays,
Ray

Don't feel bad. With Macular degeneratio in my left eye and not to good right eye, those days are over for me in modifying locos. I can only try to help some with the info I have now. It has been a nice ride in DCC model railroading.

Ri ch

on30gn15

Quote from: richg on December 17, 2011, 02:22:03 PM
First of all. go to the below link.
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/
Oh, had forgotten his website! Learned of it years ago in that Yahoo Group. Well worth paging through that site, well worth it.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest