News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do you hand-lay a wye switch?

Started by ZeldaTheSwordsman, December 17, 2011, 12:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I need a wye, possibly two, for my layout and I don't think any of the prefab ones available will work with the space constraints. Can anyone tell me how I would best go about hand-laying one?

jward

http://www.handlaidtrack.com has templates you can print out and glue to a block of wood. they also  sell track building supplies.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Doesn't tell me anything about putting the switch mechanism together, and none of those wye templates are quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for direction on doing it freehand.

rogertra

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 17, 2011, 01:07:42 AM
Doesn't tell me anything about putting the switch mechanism together, and none of those wye templates are quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for direction on doing it freehand.

When you wrote "How do you hand-lay a wye?", are you referring to a wye switch or the track formation known as a wye?

Either way, having handlaid all the visible track on my late GER, I feel that describing how to build a wye switch or a wye is far to long and complicated for a post on this forum.  I suggest you look through your back issues of the various magazines on how to hand lay track or buy a book on the subject.  Try Google as well.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Quote from: rogertra on December 17, 2011, 02:44:54 AM
When you wrote "How do you hand-lay a wye?", are you referring to a wye switch or the track formation known as a wye?

What's the difference between them?

rogertra

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 17, 2011, 03:18:37 AM
Quote from: rogertra on December 17, 2011, 02:44:54 AM

What's the difference between them?

This is basic knowledge. 

A wye switch looks like the letter "Y".

The track formation known as a wye is a triangle and is used, among other things, for turning locomotives etc..

Google both as Google is your friend.

on30gn15

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 17, 2011, 12:39:02 AMI don't think any of the prefab ones available will work with the space constraints.
And the punchline is - will the minimum radius constraints of the trains work with the wye envisioned?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, the locomotives and rolling stock in question can handle tight-radius turns. Ideally, my layout will have a double-track shed for the coaching stock, but in order to facilitate this I need a wye switch that only occupies a small amount of layout space.

Doneldon

Zelda-

The whole point of wye switches is that they don't take much space because both routes diverge from straight, not just one. I assume you want the wye to divide your track and then immediately go parallel for the engine shed. If you are saying that prefab wyes aren't sharp enough to divide your track and then let you make parallel tracks I would have to respond that you are trying for too much separation in too short of a space for good operation. Keep in mind that you'll have equally sharp reverse curves right after your wyes and that is asking an awful lot from your lokies. I have to say that if no existing wye will let you do this configuration you should find another way to solve your problem. Repeated derailments are frustrating and discouraging.
                                -- D

darryl1936

Many manufactures make wye's anywhere from at least #4's maybe #3's up to #6.  Unless one wants to give it a try making one, I would at least buy one to to see how they are made.
TOF in Hawaii

ZeldaTheSwordsman

The main issue is for me actually the space it takes for the track to split. Once it's split the curves to make the lines parallel can easily be fit within the shed. I've tested the rolling stock in question on very sharp curves both ways, and the locos involved have short wheelbases.

jward

zelda,
checque that website again. they have the instruction videos for building a switch using their jigs. building one without the jig is similar, but too complicated to fully describe here. on any switch there are about 10 pieces of rail which have to be filed and bent to the proper shape, then soldered together. the alignment of the rails which make up the frog is critical, as is the shape of the switchpoints, and the recesses in the stock rails where the points fit. i am not trying to discourage you from building one, but you need to know that it is a tedious process involving alot of cutting and fitting of small parts. watch those videos on the fasttracks site, and you will have a better idea if this is something you want to do.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA