News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail joiners

Started by full maxx, December 19, 2011, 08:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

can someone let me in on the secret of how to get rail joiners on atlas flex track
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

WoundedBear

Try dressing the ends of the cut rail with a small file.

Sid

full maxx

not cut...2 pieces of 36 in track
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jim Banner

I suspect it is the moulded "spikes" that are in the way.  These are meant to hold the rail onto the ties but stop the rail joiners from sliding on.  There are two solutions - (a) use an Atlas Hobby Saw to cut horizontally between the bottoms of the rails and the tops of the ties.  Then the rail joiners can slide in.  (b) cut off the last tie or two from each piece, join the rails and lay the track.  Once the track is where you want it, shave the "spikes" off some spare ties and slide them under the tie-less track.  A bit of white glue on the bottom of the loose ties will keep them in place.

If you are planing on laying flex track around curves, beware of joints in the curves.  Either avoid them or be sure to install the joiners and solder them to the rails before fastening down the track.  Otherwise you will have kinks where the two pieces join.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I agree with what was said by Jim,  that you need to remove the "plastic spikes" that molded on the top of the ties.
       Since you say you are using Atlas flex track you have another option to soldering joiners.   Look at the bottom of the track.   You will see that one side as many breaks between the ties.   That rail is a sliding rail.   What I do is to pull out the sliding rail about 2 to 4 inches.   Once that piece of track is down,  bring up the next piece of track and slide the sliding rail into the vacated ties of the first piece.   When you see where the rails will meet,  again,  remove the "spikes" where the railjoiners will be located.   Continue to put down the track the same way.   You will only need to cut rail when you get to a turnout,  crossover,  or end of a stub siding.   BTW......the sliding rail can be on either the inside or outside of a curve.   The trick is to have solid rail(no joiners) opposite to the side with the railjoiners.
       This is how my track work is done and anyone who has ever been to my place to operate my railroad can attest to the lack of derailments.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

Smooth operation and lack of derailments - the ultimate proof of the pudding.

Just a side note to full max - model railroaders from 3 to 103 all call me Jim.  When someone calls me Mr. Banner, I start wondering if I'm in trouble again.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.