Santa and Girls Train Steamer vs Atlas Track

Started by rfilipia, December 20, 2011, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfilipia

I bought a new Williams Girls Train O set at York for my wife and set it up on Atlas track for Christmas.  The Steamer on 048 track on the curved sections appears to bang into every outside track connector with the driver flanges and nearly jumps the track.   I am not sure what's wrong ........... but it doesn't like turning on that track.   Never seen anything like it before ........... any advice here would be appreciated like it should only run on tubular track, flange is to big for this track height,  loco wheel spread is not in spec for this track ........ return to Williams, or ???   Wife is disappointed with her new train set.   Help Santa?

Len

According to the info on the Bachmann product info page, the 2-6-4 loco in the 'Girls Train' should operate on any track down to O-27 size, so it should be real happy on O-48 curves. Of course, all bets are off if you're operating at Warp 9.5.

You mention "track connectors", so it sounds like you're using solid rail Atlas-O track with rail joiners. Sometimes the joiners get spread open a bit if the track is taken apart and put together a lot. All you have to do is slide the joiner off, squeeze the opening at the top together with your fingers, and slide it back on to keep it from sticking out and snagging flanges.

If that doesn't cure the problem, check that your pilot can pivot freely and your drivers are in gauge. I operate all kinds of Williams and Lionel steamers on Atlas-O track and never had this king of problem.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

I am not that fond of Atlas track, as I had an experiance with an Atlas bridge and Lionel tubular track not connecting properly, and causing derailments.
My personal preferance is Gargraves track and switches, works great with most trains. Also I try not to mix track that much except Gargraves and 027, I find that the joining tracks or adaptors don't mate that well at times. Another place that I had problems with mixing track types is at switches or near switches.

Lee F.