News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bridge

Started by SteamGene, July 17, 2007, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm looking for an arch bridge that has between a 30 to 32" curve to it that will span approximately 18 inches.  I'd thought of the new Atlas bridge - but I'm sure it's straight and not curved.  Any suggestions?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nathan

Do you have single track or double track at that point?

If it is single track you might use a double track bridge of say two 9" sections and angle the two using cruved track.

Nathan

SteamGene

Good question, Nathan.  It's a single track.  It's the upper track in the helix and I got the idea that I could put a deep ravine to open up the lower track for a bit, with that track passing over a culvert and the upper track exiting and enterng a tunnel while passing over the ravine on a bridge.  Yes, a double track bridge might work.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bojangle

Gene:
I have never seen a curved bridge, but even at my age, there is a lot left unseen and undone.  I Googled "curved bridge", got about 2 million hits.  Then I Googled "curved railroad bridges" and still got 350,000 hits.  Very interesting. 

Bo

r.cprmier

Gene;
Vollmer, Kibri, or heljen...try those.  I think one of those has on in their catalogue.  If not, then why not join the hearty ranks of us scratchbuilders?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ebtnut

Just as an FYI, there was no such thing as a curved railroad bridge until about 25 years ago, when computers become powerful enough to calculate all the odd stresses that result.  With the exception of stone arch viaducts, virtually all railroad bridges built from about the 1840's through the 1960's, whether wood or metal, were straight, or a series of straight sections.  The ties and rail on top might be laid to the curve, but the underlying structure isn't.  For the most part, this rule applies to almost all substantial bridges, whether for rail or highway.

SteamGene

I know that railroad bridges aren't actually curved - or weren't in 1957, but some do appear curved.  I don't want to replicate what I already have, but I could change another bridge arrangement and use the arch bridge for that one and truss bridges for the curved one.   Or make it smaller so it can be straight for less than a foot. 
Scratchbuilding is an option, of course.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Terry Toenges

I guess it depends on what your definition of "curved" is. 
I've never heard of anyone speak of angled bridges. They're either curved or straight.
I'd call these curved even though they are made of straight sections.

Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

Nice photos.  The bridge, OTOH, is moot.  I checked clearance and it doesn't make it.  I could force it, but it would look forced and not realistic . 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

VTBob

JV Models sells a basswood trestle kit. Now granted a trestle isn't considered to be a bridge, but maybe it'll still work?

I have the Bent jig sheets if you want to scratch build your own too.

Thanks,
Zytx
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont