News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Geep Shell swap?

Started by Paul M., July 15, 2007, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

I recently acquired a few GP7 shells from ebay. Would it be easy for me to buy a couple Bachmann standard GPs , take off the GP shell and install the GP7 shell on the chassis of the Bachmann GP?

I know this would be possible, but I don't know which Bachmann Geep would fit the GP7 shell best as far as length and width go.

Would the GP50 be best? the GP40? the GP38?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Dr EMD

You are going to find the GP40/GP50 frames are longer than the GP7. You may get by with the GP38 as the wheelbase is a bit off. You will have to file something down to make the shell fit.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

rogertra

Unless you are interested in some serious kitbashing and machining of metal, the only frames that would probably be suitable are frames from a GP7, GP9 and GP18, if Bachmann make them.

Usually, you buy shells as as replacements for a damaged shell, in which case you would buy a Bachmann shell for a damaged Bachmann shell, Athearn shell for a damaged Athearn shell, or a Life-Like shell for a damaged Life-Like shell etc., etc..

Sometimes, people want to replace one shell, say of a GP7 from manufacturer "A" with a shell from manufacturer "B" because they consider "B's" shell more accurate or closer to their prototype because "A" has the better mechanism.

The only other reason for buying shells it for kitbashing parts.

To buy a bunch of shells 'on spec' from E-Bay and then try and look for a suitable chassis? 

Sorry, that just doesn't make sense and is a very expensive way of going about it.  Whatever suitable chassis you find, will already had a shell installed so you will just be wasting money.

Who's brand of shell did you buy?  The best case is to buy the same manufacturer's model, complete with shell, throw that shell away and install your own.  Then advertise the now spare shell(s) on E-Bay and see if someone bites.

Bojangle

Hi Paul
I know it is hard to resist a "bargain".  I have several laying around.  But now the fun part is finding a bargain loco for the bargain shell.

If you have a large hobby shop nearby, you might do some measuring  on a few locos, you just might find one that will work.
Bo

Paul M.

Does anybody know the length of the Bachmann standard GP38-2?

-Paul
[

Bojangle

Paul
Check the listings at Tower Hobbies.  Their listings include measurements, don't know the accuracy, or if it includes couplers.  Specify Bachmann in the box.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-u.html

Bo

Paul M.

Thanks, Bojangle!

I wasn't able to find the Bachmann GP38, but I found something else at Tower Hobbies that I think will work even better:

Model Power's GP9

I'll be checking eBay for the MP GP9.

;D ;D ;D

-Paul
[