Spectrum 4-4-0...... any changes in the past few years to this model?

Started by emjayw, December 27, 2011, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjayw

I'm buying a "leftover" Spectrum 4-4-0 (D&RG version) for a nice price.  This model is "new" but 5 or 6 years old.  Have there been any significant changes to the Spectrum 4-4-0 in this time span?  Is this going to be a problem down the line?  Mike in TX

Loco Bill Canelos

I do not believe there are any mechanical changes.  The motors have a noise supression circuit, which can burn out if the loco derails and causes a short.  Many including myself remove it.  It is only there to meet FCC requirements for import.

Mine has been a great runner!  Kevin Strong may have better information than I do.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mike M

first run did not have a switch for large scale nmra direction. It was added later
Mike

Jon D. Miller

Here is a picture of the noise supressor that Bill mentions.  It is mounted on the motor brush end  and soldered to the motor leads.  Easy to remove and it's not needed.  In fact many times it will burn out.

Also, as Mike M. mentions, the first edition did not have the NMRA/Large Scale polarity switch mounted behind the smoke box door.  As delivered the locomotive complied with NMRA polarity standard.  Within short order Bachmann published the procedure to change the locomotive's polarity to bring it in line with Large Scale practice.  If you get one of these very early 4-4-0 Americans, conversion of polarity is very simple.

Either The Bachman or one of us here on the site can provide details for changing polarity if you so desire.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)