Bachmann Bicentennial Set (New In Box)

Started by MasterChief68, December 23, 2011, 03:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterChief68

Hello, I am new to here and to HO trains.  I had some sets when I was younger, but nothing but just a couple of trains and a track.  The other day I dug out my old trains and some stuff that's been pasted down to me and I want to build a layout.  
Anyways I wanted to ask this question, I have a Bachmann Bicentennial set that has never been opened, and I was thinking about using it but I have no clue what it's worth and I hate to ruin the value by opening it.  I been doing web searches and can find nothing to compare it too.  Ebay has some used cars but that's about it.  What scared me was that I seen a BACHMANN THOMAS JEFFERSON BICENTENNIAL 51' BOX CAR - N SCALE #5205 for $698.75 on Amazon, and yea that is N scale. So back to the question should I open it or not.
BTW, I also got Tyco's, Alco 430 Diesel in Spirit of '76 and the Twin F9 Diesels Spirit of '76 plus some Commemorative State box cars.  Just another reason I wanted to open it.

Woody Elmore

The Ebay price is absurd. As for your train set, old train sets are not like old baseball cards - they do not have much value. Why not just set up the trains and enjoy them.

Merry Christmas.

mhampton

I just did a quick scan at Amazon.com and found a car being sold through Amazon (not by Amazon) by a dealer named Artmatrix for $498.75.  At that price, I don't think it will actually ever be sold.  It's real worth is about 1/100 of the asking price.  As Woody said, old mass produced plastic train sets don't carry much monetary value.  Their real value is in the future memories they can create.

MasterChief68

Baseball cards?  but they don't do anything, why would you want them. lol  Thanks guys I think I am going to use it. I am in no hurry to open it since I am starting from scratch building my layout, an seeing I have no clue it might be a while lol.