News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pacific express set

Started by wwilly1968, December 23, 2011, 12:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwilly1968

hello i have acquired a bachmann pacific express 105 piece train set unopened  and iam trying to find out what it is worth i friend said she had bought it for her dad 25 years ago so kinda got me interested in it's value have some extras to and looking to find out their value also  thanks

mhampton

In all honesty, it will probably have more sentimental value than monetary worth.  Old mass produced plastic models are rarely, if ever, worth what they cost when they were new.

wwilly1968

no kidding then how is it i have seen some on ebay going for a couple hundred, and why can i not find any info anywhere on it ????

Ken G Price

Wwilly1968
You see it because there are people who believe it is rare and pay that.
Or the seller believes it is rare just because it is old and thinks it is worth that much.

Most of the older mass produced train sets were made to be cheap and worked accordingly

When I started model trains again in 2007 all of my engines and some cars I had in 1975 went into the trash. The quality was not even close to the newer stuff.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

ww-

I can ask $1000 for an old rolling pin on ebay but that doesn't mean I'll get it. Yes a few, a very very very few, idiots might pay an outrageous price for a worthless something but that's a truly rare event. Many people think old train models are valuable because they heard that some guy sold his 1950s Lionel set for a fortune. Two points: One, that rarely happens. 2., When it does happen it's because the model was rare and desirable in the first place and it is still in pristine condition and it is still in its pristine boxes.

The greatest value for your train would come from playing with it with a child or grandchild. Second place would be in giving it to a child who can have fun with it, assuming it still works which is not a sure thing. I know I speak for others on this site in saying that we don't enjoy popping people's bubbles but the truth is the truth.

-- D