News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 K-27 smokebox door

Started by spdavie, December 24, 2011, 11:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spdavie

Hi everyone, I am thinking about purchasing a K-27 and was wondering if the smokebox door hinges are removeable or casted on. It looks like the top hinge should be reversed with the bottom hinge to be more accurate with the prototype. The hinges sandwich the number board to closely unlike the prototype which is more spaced. Also, how does it size up with the Accucraft k-27 which I already have? Thanks

Jon D. Miller

The portion of the hinge on the smoke box door is cast on.  It can not be removed.  You'd be stuck with the hinge location so every time you looked at the smoke box door it would probably limit your enjoyment of this very fine locomotive.

How does it size up?  Are you asking about physical size or its performance?  Never got out my calipers to measure an Accucraft K-27 against the Bachmann K-27.  They look the same to me.  Performance wise it is every bit as good as the Accucraft.  I've run the Bachmann K-27 along with friends that have the Accucraft version.  The Bachmann K-27 more than holds its own with an Accucraft and for a lot less money.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

spdavie

Thanks Jon for your helpful input!
David D