News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordon's coaches

Started by Sailorsam, December 26, 2011, 06:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailorsam

Hi fellow Thomas fans,  can anyone tell me what colour green is on Gordon's coaches. I have a couple of similar coaches i'd like to paint to match up with them, thanks.
If you have to hit it more than once get a bigger hammer!!.

branmas

Maybe a kind of dark Green but I don't know.

J70

I'd suggest taking a coach down to a shop that sells auto paints, sometimes they can match a color up to an item of rolling stock. Done this before, and it works out to be cheap.

Jack

RW James

Quote from: Churchill8F on December 26, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
I'd suggest taking a coach down to a shop that sells auto paints, sometimes they can match a color up to an item of rolling stock. Done this before, and it works out to be cheap.

Jack
I'm surprised that would work. Model paints usually have finer pigment particles than automotive paints. The thicker paint could hide surface details.

I would just take a photo to your local hobby shop and pick the closest color you could find.
Rick

Sailorsam

Thanks guys  i'll sort something out that will be close.

Hoss

Before going with Churchill's suggestion, there are things to consider.

The United States EPA has regulations on purchasing automotive grade paints. I'm not sure of your area, but I know that the Great Lakes region, California and a few other regions require certification to purchase paint from a auto-body supplier. (I know this because I work in a body shop and had to get certified a few years ago.

Secondly, A pint of standard, no flake, no metallic, no pearl (Which you want) automotive paint will set you back about 70 to 80 bucks. Is it worth it? I dunno as I can't answer that question for you, but talk to the guys behind the counter and see if you can't get a smaller amount at a reduced price.

This is strictly my two cents, nothing more. Do with it what you wish

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I would try a flat or semi-gloss testors or floquil paint. You would have a nice selection of Testors paints or a nice selection of different shades of green from Floquil. I would also look at getting a plastic model primer. Tape off where you don't want to paint, spray the plastic model primer, let that dry and cure, and paint with the coat of green.

My suggestions as far as what colors to look for, I would have to say a nice semi-gloss dark green from Testors or maybe a semi-gloss Great Northern Empire Green. Again those are just my suggestions, but those would probably give you the best results.

branmas

Sailorsam

Thanks for the ideas guys and the pic here, i'll find something suitable for this project, Humbrol have a sries of dedicated UK railway colours also.  Unless you have something at hand to compare it with it's not so critical, thanks again.

Sodor Perfection

I've decided to use Brunswick green for my coaches.

Sailorsam

Hi all. 
Thanks for that suggestion re Brunswick green.