News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tutorial on coupler change outs?

Started by GoCanes, December 27, 2011, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCanes

I have a plethora of Bachmann rolling stock and a few locos that I want to add EZ mate magnetic couplers to.

Where is a good source for getting a crash course in coupler replacement?  Book?  Online?  Video?

It looks like it's going to be a bit tricky, and there are different coupler mounting gear on some of the stock and locos.

Also, why not use magnetic EZ mate couplers as the default option on all new Bachman cars?  I loved the EZ Mate system for HO, and assume it is great for N.  Curious as to why they aren't standard?

Thanks.  

mhampton

Here's a link to one of Bachmann's N scale boxcars:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3846
You'll note that the EZ-Mates are standard.

For many of the older cars with truck-mounted couplers, it is easier to replace the whole assembly and now Bachmann offers trucks with EZ-Mate couplers installed.  You just have to use the wheels from the trucks you replace.

Replacing couplers on locomotives can be a little more challenging, especially if the old couplers are truck mounted.  There are quite a few N scale forums on the 'net and you can probably find instructions for changing almost any loco.  The challenges involved are almost as numerous as there are locomotive types available.

GoCanes

Thank you!   ;)

I think some of the rolling stock I bought, even though "new" is not new in terms of 2012 issue, so my stuff rarely has EZ mate couplers.

Yes, the locos are tricky.   I have changed out some couplers in seconds, others take, quite frankly, a lot of luck and unpredictable time.

RGW

The problem is many trucks and body mounted couplers(Example caboose)
need a T shank coupler and this is not offered by Bachmann yet. I hope in the
future this will change.

James in FL

For you guys using the new EZ Mates, how do you like them?
How do they stack up with, and couple to, the other brands out there?

RGW

They are a little bigger that other knuckle couplers but they seem to work well
and couple fine with Mts. I don't use magnetic uncoupling so I can't coment
on that.

GoCanes

I love 'em, once you get them on  :)

They work great over the magnets.

UPDATE:  Installing just the EZ Mates on Locos and stock that use the old pin mounted couplers is like suffering the trials of the damned!  I'm doing it, but I am not having much fun >:(

I'm buying the new Bachman cars with EZ Mates, and preferably magnetic EZ Mates, and ordering those new trucks with the EZ Mates included.