News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Mate Knuckle Couplers

Started by AndrewPoet, December 26, 2011, 06:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewPoet

Hello all you model train folk,
My son got a new Bachman Rail Chief E-Z track system for Christmas. We have set it up, turned it on, and played with it. It is a lot of fun. However, we are unable to make the the E-Z Mate Knuckle Couplers couple together. The instructions simply say to push the two cars together and the couplers should innitiate. They are not and the cars won't stay together. What do we do? I have taken a coupler apart to see just how it works and I got nothing out of this. I am not sure if they are magnetic or what? I imagine that it is simple as this set is meant to be simple. Can somebody please give a newbie some simple advice?

Thank you to anybody who takes the time to respond.

richg

I have no idea why none will stay connected. Never had that happen to me. The couplers are magnetic.
Is the track level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-53s7Wb-23o

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=254_258_273

Rich

ebtbob

Andrew,

Look at the couplers that came with the set.   Do they have a coiled spring holding the knuckle shut or a thin piece of plastic?   If your couplers do NOT have the coiled spring then you have EZ Mate I couplers which,  with all due respect to Bachmann,  should be banned,  PERIOD!!.   That piece of plastic easily loses its shape and will not keep the coupler knuckles closed.   Replace them with either the Bachmann EZ Mate II with the coiled knuckle springs or the Kadee 158.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

richg

I just remembered, I automatically replace them with Kadee which I know you cannot do right now. They want to see the trains run.
Are all the cars not connecting? I doubt that.

Rich

mhampton

Whether or not they are magnetic should have no bearing on their ability to couple.  On model knuckle couplers, magnetic ones will UNCOUPLE in the presence of a sufficiently strong magnet.

AndrewPoet

Thank you. They are E-Z Mate I with the silly little plastic piece, so I think I will just replace them with E-Z Mate II or Kadee's. The Engine has the little spring on it though. Why they would not put the spring on them all is past me?! Anyways, thank you for your help.

rogertra

I automatically replace all proprietary couplers, no matter who makes them, with Kadees as only Kadees are consistently reliable.