News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 80 Ton 3 Truck Shay

Started by Grandpagator, December 27, 2011, 11:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpagator

Hi,

I have a HO Spectrum 80 ton 3 truck shay that does not run.  All the gears and cranks are moving, and the sound is good, but it does not move down the track at all.  I don't know which wheel is the drive wheel, but they all move freely.  Everything on the DCC works fine.  Anyone have the same problem, and have a cure for it?

Thanks,
Grandpagator

jerryl

Could be anywhere in the power train. Sounds like the gear is slipping on the motor shaft...sounds like the old split gear syndrome.

Doneldon

Gramps-

I suggest that you contact Bachmann service. If your loco is new it may need
replacement; if you've had it a while it may need repairs.
                                                                                       -- D

mattyg1306

It sounds like it is, indeed, the gears on the drive shaft.  I had several that had that issue where they spin and don't move the gears.  I haven't checked today, but Bachmann does usually stock replacement drive shafts.  You get the front, middle, and rear in one set for $25 I believe.  It is fairly easy to install with a simple jewelers philips head screw driver (I am a novice and I have replaced the shafts on three Shays so far!).  I actually DON'T recommend you send it to Bachmann service department at this point in time as the Shay is no longer in production, and if it needs replaced, you will be receiving a Climax instead.

There is also the alternative option of getting NWSL steel gears installed, but that IS very difficult, and if you are not used to that kind of intricate work you will probably fail or need to find a professional to install them.