News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tracks

Started by Huntbubbad, December 27, 2011, 11:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntbubbad

I'm new to trains and just recieved a new train set (Digital Commander with E-Z TrackĀ® set Item No. 00501) the box shows a grey base track which I think means it has nichel rails.My father inlaw give me a bunch of track from his old Bachmann train set but it has a black base which I think means it has a iron rail. Can you use these two track together? I haven't open the train box yet because I'm not sure it's if it's a good beginner set. I will be going to Hobby Lobby later today and talk to them but thought I might get some answers online. Also does anyone recommend a good train book or magazine for beginners.
Thanks for any help hope to make this a long term hobby.

Joe323

As far as the set you received it is a fine beginners set.  The EZ Command is a simple digtal command system that will get you started in DCC the way the hobby has been going for years.

Now regarding the track.  You can mix grey and black EZ track but the black steel track will require more maintenance (cleaning) than the grey nickle silver track.  Also the steel can rust and thats not good.  My suggestion start with what you have and as money and time permit replace the black with the grey track.

Huntbubbad

mhampton

Kalmbach, the people behind Model Railroader magazine, and Carstens, the publishers of Railroad Model Craftsman, offer a plethora of books on all facets of model railroading for everyone from beginners to more experienced modellers.

As for Hobby Lobby, I don't want to bad mouth them because they are good at their primary function - a hobby/craft supply store.  Most of the stores no longer carry model railroad products.  I think you would have a hard time finding reliable information from one of their sales people.  Asking questions here or in one of the other forums on the internet is an excellent way to get answers.  A good local club or shop that specializes in model railroads is also a good source for help.