News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery powerand rcs?

Started by lrparks, July 17, 2007, 08:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: new G on July 17, 2007, 11:56:48 AM
...  I am also going to fabricate my own 2 channel R/X AND T/X ...

This raises a number of interesting questions:

Are you a licenced radio technician/technologist/engineer?

What problems will will you have with the FCC?

Why only two channels?  Why not build it from the get go to operate sound as well?

How much more will it cost to develop your own radio control compared to buying an off-the-shelf unit?

What is your time line for developing this equipment?

I don't mean to discourage you if you are developing your own radio control because you enjoy the challenge.  I spent a dozen years setting up computer assisted block control on my H0 railroad back in the days before DCC.  And I enjoyed doing it.  But I never kidded myself into thinking I was saving money or that I was coming up with the ultimate form of model train control.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tony Walsham

Jim,
perhaps he will be doing for self satisgaction, but at US$39.95 for a 2 channel AM rig complete with 2 x servos, entry level battery R/C cannot get much cheaper.
A 2 channel rig + a suitable ESC can control both speed/direction and have two sound triggers, for not much more than US$120.
Fantastic range & "Glitch Free" to boot.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Jim Banner

Tony, I stand corrected.  The old Bachmann 4-6-0 radio control was one channel and controlled both speed and direction.  I should have known (or rembered) better.

It seems to me that at one time you made an add on for a car/boat/plane r/c receiver that allowed it to control both speed and direction of a battery powered motor.  Is that what you were refering to?

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tony Walsham

Quote from: Jim Banner on July 18, 2007, 05:06:16 PM
SNIP
It seems to me that at one time you made an add on for a car/boat/plane r/c receiver that allowed it to control both speed and direction of a battery powered motor.  Is that what you were refering to?

I still do. 
A µp controlled system sold under the EVOLUTION R/C brand.
It uses the same hardware as my RCS stuff with speed and direction controlled by one channel.  The other channel can be used for another loco or sound triggers.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).