News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can''t get Tweetsie G scale set to run

Started by lacops, December 25, 2011, 01:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacops

I have been in electric trains for years starting in the 50s with American flyer.  Now into HO and very experienced.  I bought my grandson the Bachmann G scale Tweetsie set for Christmas, which is today.  We simply could not get it to run.  I checked over all the standard problems suggested in the manual and all those issues were correctly done or not a problem.  The rheostat (speed controller) lights up so the transformer is apparently sending juice through it and the electrical outlet is a good one and the clips on the underside of the rails appear to be making good contact.  However, when I remove the "clips" that carry current to the rails from beneath the track and lay them instead across the top of the rails (with of course one clip on each rail) , I should see some "sparking" or some sign of life with the AC electrical system but I don't.

In the instruction manual it refers to a "polarity switch" that is under the smokebox front on some Big Haulers, but my Tweetsie on the front of the smokebox has one on/off switch for the smoke unit and above that just a blank hole with "NMRA" imprinted on the left and "European" on the right but no switch.  I am assuming this loco is not equipped with a polarity switch?  If it's supposed to be, then mine is not visible and I suppose could have fallen down inside the smokebox somehow?  Anybody know if this loco is one that is not supposed to have this switch?

Anybody have any other bright ideas?  I have a very disappointed 7 year old grandson and believe me, his grandpa is not so delighted with this set either, Bachmann!!  I bought a big Hauler set several years ago (since sold) and it was up and running with no problem but this one.................

Red26

I had a similar problem this morning. The problem was the little connector which plugs into the larger connector which plugs into the rails, I have to wrench it about before I get the current to flow. As a last resort I will strip out the wires from this little plug and attach small crocodile clip connectors directly to the metal parts of the connector clip and the bared wires.

Take the 9V battery you have in the tender (for the sound) and connect it directly to the 2 rails, if the loco runs then you know the problem is with the power pack, or most likely the wires between it and the rail connector.

djb

I have been having a similar problem with the White Christmas Express.  Although I can get the train to run if I push the terminal connectors directly and firmly on the top of the rails.  Obviously that will not work long term.  Could this be a problem with the terminal connector itself?

I've called Bachmann directly and be told to "fiddle with it."  Not exactly helpful.

Any other ideas short of return?

Loco Bill Canelos

Djb,

Fiddling often works, because sometimes things do not get seated tight enough, but...........
If this is a brand new set and if pressing it in does not work, and you are not willing to make a direct connection to the rails as suggested by Red, contact Bachmann again tell them that you tried what they said and request nicely a replacement connector.  Way less hassle than returning it!!

lacops,

The best way to test is with a small current tester,  Stat by plugging in the powerpack and turning it up to full, be sure all the connections between it and the track are in place.  Put the probes from the tester on the rails you should get a reading of 16 to 18 volts DC.  If you get no reading then disconnect the connector from the rails and check at the connector pins,  If you get the reading then the problem is the connector, If not disconnect the wires from the power pack and put the probes directly to the pack, if still n o reading, then disconnect the gray power pack controller from the wall and put the probes on the wires leading from the wall, if you get no juice, then the problem is the wall transformer.  If you have no circuit tester from your HO days then just use some wire leads to an 18 volt bulb and follow the above procedure.  If the set is brand new then respectfully ask for a replacement of what ever part has failed!

Best of luck to both of you and we hope you will get your trains going!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!