News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Xuron Shears

Started by pds1506, July 17, 2007, 12:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

Has anyone used Xuron shears for cutting small kit parts off the sprue?  If so, I was wondering if the 410A or the 410T was better?  The company says a lot of modelers use the 410T, however, the 410A is advertised as having almost no pinch.  The kits I work that have the smallest most delicate parts are made by Proto 2000, Branchline and Intermountain.

Any experience with either or both would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Bojangle

Any flush cutting nippers work fine, but even after cutting there is usually a small bit of flash to be removed.  I never try to cut the sprue at the piece, but cut at the tree base first, then trim the piece, less chance of damage to delicate parts.
Bo

WoundedBear

I have a set of "rail" nippers and I have a set of these Testors ones....

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1172

I use them both equally for both jobs. The Testor's ones cut NS and brass rail easily, and so far, no signs of blade damage. I'm still able to nip of the tiniest plastic or white metal parts cleanly.

The only difference between the "rail" nippers from my train dealer and the Testors one, is about 10 bucks....lol.

Sid

*note* Substitute the phrase "overpriced, fancy brand" for the word "rail" in the above post......lololol.

MrMunchkin

Radio Shack sells a low priced set of flush cutters that are fine for parts off of sprues but don't have enough leverage for rail, I have both the Xurons (don't know which number) and the Radio Shacks and whichever you usen make sure that you practice a bit before you try to do any critical cutting with them.

Bojangle

When I built model cars in my youth, I only had a single edged razor blade and a tube of glue.  We also built a house and barn with only a hand saw and hammer. 

Today, I have over 50 small precision tools on my bench just to work on trains, not to mention all the power saws, drills, grinders, lathes, and of course our favorite Dremel tool with about 500 accessories.   Women say the only difference between boys and men are the price of their toys and tools.  Factories know we modelers are suckers for tools. 
Bo

richG

I have that type of cutter but also bought a sprue cutter. Good for delicate pieces. I picked it up at a local trains show where a hobby tool supplier shows up every year.

http://www.greenwayproducts.com/buy_tool_sprue.htm

I have damaged a couple of small delicate pieces before with the Xuron cutter.

Rich