News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann engine

Started by crazyjim, December 29, 2011, 07:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyjim

We're brand new to model railroading and are building our first layout.  My wife purchased an N scale Chessie (she likes cats) engine 15-20 years ago and it's just been sitting in the attic.  I put it on the track and it lights up but doesn't move.  Is there a way to take it apart and try to fix whatever is wrong?

James in FL

Hi crazyjim,

Quoteput it on the track and it lights up but doesn't move.

...that's a good sign, there is hope...

This is what I would do.
Remove the shell.
Disassemble the chassis as much as possible, remove the trucks. You will need a small Phillips, a  #00 or #000 if you have it.

Get a small margarine or cool whip or similar plastic bowl.  Get some contact cleaner.
Be sure to use a contact cleaner that states "safe on all plastics".
My cleaner of choice is CRC electrical grade QD Contact Cleaner.
Put all parts and pieces (except the shell) in the bowl.
Use the red straw in the nozzle of the contact cleaner and holding each part over the bowl, spray each down heavily, blasting all the crud and old grease/oil off, allowing the part to drip into said bowl.
As you clean each lay them on a dry paper towel.
Rotate the gears in the trucks while blasting, while looking for any foreign matter (lint, pet hair, etc) in any gear flanks and around wheel axles. Most can be dug out or removed with a sewing needle.
Rotate the motor and blast away, commutator, brushes, windings, bearings/bushings, worms, drive shafts, everything until drips are clean and clear.
Let everything dry thoroughly.
Wipe the commutator with some alcohol on a q tip or better yet on a foam tip. It should look polished.
When you're ready to reassemble put half drop light oil on each motor bearing.
< (less than) Half drop gear oil in one flank only on each gear in the trucks and one flank on each worm.
Run it without the shell for a few minutes in both directions to distribute the oil.

If you don't feel comfortable with a total disassemble then hold the chassis over the bowl vertically and hose it down heavy with the cleaner, rotating the motor. Get the motor, trucks, and all contact points as best as you can.
When you think you have everything as clean as possible, then hose it down heavy again, let dry and lube as above.

If it's not running after the clean and lube we can trouble shoot if you provide some more info about exactly which loco you have. It would also be good if you have a multi-meter at your disposal.

Let us know how it works out.

Most of the "N"ormal folks here are in the "N"ormal forum.

Good luck

Doneldon

cj-

Be sure to turn your mechanism by turning the motor shaft, NOT by trying to turn the wheels.

-- D

jonathan

If the lights work and the motor does not, many times, that means you've hooked up the power pack backwards.  The DC side is for the track, the AC side is for accessories.  Just a thought.
Regards,

Jonathan

crazyjim

I'll give it a shot.  Thanks, James, for the detailed info and thank you Jonathan & CJ for your replies.

Hey James - we live in FLA too.  Citrus Springs.  That's near Dunnellon and Ocala.