News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

broke drive gear

Started by dennis52e, December 31, 2011, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennis52e

i have a suwannee river special 4-6-0 that has a broken drive gear any one know where to find a replacement  gear ?

Sleeping Bear

Contact Barry of Barry's big trains, he makes metal ones......other than that I can only suggest watching the ePlace and waiting....maybe someone else will have an idea..........Later All.........S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Loco Bill Canelos

Dennis,
You could also contact Bachmann service department and see what your options are.  You could send it in for repair under the lifetime warranty.

Your Suwanee River Special Locomotive #8254 and the set 90027 was made in 1996 and has an older chassis either a version 3 or 4.  When sent for repair, Bachmann often replaces the entire chassis, which means you get a later better chassis.  The downside of this is that when you get it back the cylinders might not match so be sure to ask.

That set was only in the catalog from 1996 to 1998, and in my opinion one of the best looking sets Bachmann ever made, it is also the only Large scale set they made in the Southern Railway livery.  Bachamnn also made a matching full Baggage and a coach to go with it.  When I saw the whole train on a layout visit I was blown away, WOW!   Definitely worth getting fixed!!!  It is one of the more rare sets due to the short production run, and worth a first class repair!!

Bill 

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Dennis,

The type 3 drive is the drive which the gears were good, but the motor moved (Bachmann used hot glue to hold it in place).  This has a brass worm on the motor driving a cluster gear (a worm gear and a small spur gear), driving an idler gear, which in turn drives the axle gear.
There is a "banding procedure" for this set up, also I have the replacement gears.

The type 4 drive has a metal yoke with a brass worm an a single axle worm gear, over an inch in diameter.  Typically the plastic bushings in the metal yoke slip out of the yoke and the worm chews the gear.   I have the replacement gear and can supply washers to keep the bushings in place.

Let me know which you need.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Sleeping Bear

I feel I must apologise. I should know better that to post a reply so late at night. The responce I gave was for a broken side rod(drive rod or  "gear")  again sorry for any confusion...was rushing to see the ball drop....Later All....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"