Help-Thomas the Train coaches derail at curves!

Started by N.H.&I.railfan, December 29, 2011, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.H.&I.railfan

???  Annie and Clabel coaches on my nephew's new Thomas the Train set frequently derail as they head into curves. They're running on an oval track. Anyone else experiencing this, or similar problems with your large scale Thomas set?  Would appreciate suggestions on what, if anything, you've done done to stop such derailing. Train is set up on carpeting and encircles the Christmas tree. My 2-1/2 year old nephew is disappointed his present from Santa won't work the way it should. Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions, or help.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Double check to be sure each piece of your track is tightly connected and held together by the clips as per the instructions.  Make sure your oval is truly oval and has not become skewed.  The track must be flat without up and down kinks as well.   Track problems are the major cause of the derailments.

On the cars make sure the trucks swing freely, if they do not then the couplers will have a tendency to push the wheels off the track.  It is also possible that the wheels are out of gauge, so make sure you check to see that they are the correct distance apart and that the axles are turning freely in the truck journals.   

Try these things and see if it helps, we want your nephew to enjoy your new train!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

Everything Bill mentioned is a good start, the Euro style cars do not have trucks under them but the wheels still need to be check as Bill Mentioned.

I'm not sure how old your Nephew is but mine all love to run trains as fast as they can go, if this is the case they will derail often, it's physics they are tall short wagons and they will be unstable at high speeds,  they should be run at scale speeds.

Also check the round bumpers on either side of the coupler (they sort of look like buttons), if the track has been skewed as Bill mentions the radius could be too tight causing them to  touch and cause a bind between the cars or Engine that would force a derailment.

NM-Jeff

Chuck N

Several suggestions:

As I recall I had similar problems with them on LGB 4' diameter track, but did not with larger diameter track.  When I commented on that problem, someone said that they didn't have any problems with the Bachmann track that came with the set.

First, try adding some weight to the cars.  They are very light and some weight should help keep them on the track.  Try a can or two of tuna fish or something of similar weight.

Second, the hook and loop couplers on Anne and Clarabel are fixed to the body of the car and do not rotate as most hook and loop couplers do when they are truck mounted.  Take a paper clip and use that to hold the two loops together.  That will extend the distance between the cars and should help them enter curves.

Chuck

note added 12-31-11

I had a relatively long discussion on mylargescale.com regarding Thomas and the cars.  If you read through it, especially some of the later posts you will read comments and solutions regarding the derailment of the cars.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/17/aft/113445/afv/topic/afpgj/3/Default.aspx#138580

This link brings you into the third page of the thread.  you will need to click on the "1" on the right side of the page near the top in order to get to the start of the thread.

Mark Oles

I posted a reply in the other thread you started in the Thomas and Friends section.  The track has to be very level, check for any vertical kinks.  That was the cause of my problems using the bachmann tracks.

Oh, and Thomas is from the Island of Sodor, so wrecks are prototypical....