Willaims New York Central Heavyweight Passenger cars 2540-2545

Started by jffpcf, December 29, 2011, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jffpcf

Hi,

I just acquired 6 Williams NYC heavyweight passenger cars numbered 2540/41/42/43/44/45.
They are in LN- condition (no boxes). The 2541-45 cars have Century Limited lettering in addition to the New York Central and the 2540 has Railway Express Agency.   Each car is about 18 inches in length (coupler to coupler).

Can someone tell me when these were made and what the list price was for them.  I was told they were made a
few years ago, but have no way to verify.  They are dark green with black roofs and I can provide pictures (I currently can't post this message with photos).  

Also is there a set number for these 6 cars or were they sold 4 in the set and two as an add on set.
I may be interested in selling them, since I do not have any train loops that they will run on. I think they
need 042 or higher circumference.

Thanks,

John  (TCA # 77-11520)

johnretired@yahoo.com

phillyreading

Without being able to see what the passenger cars look like and the type of knuckle coupler used, I could not tell you much except to give a few details.
A parts or stock number will not always date a Williams before Bachmann correctly. I have found that there could have been a second run of the passenger cars with differant style couplers and/or center roller wheels.
I have a set of King Coal passenger cars, Reading Company, and have found a more modern set(a couple months ago) than what I purchased a few years ago.

Williams, before Bachmann, could have made two or three differant versions of that set of passenger cars. One set would have fixed knuckle couplers, another set would have operating knuckle couplers and would like K-Line truck assemblies. Being a six car set would place them around 11 to 18 years ago, could even be of the "Crown Edition". Only newer sets have four passenger cars, something that Bachmann, the new owner, does.
A decent estimate on the price when new would be close to $250.00, would need boxes to get a more realistic price.

Lee F.