Sound problem with Diesel Eng

Started by kemacan, December 30, 2011, 01:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kemacan

WILLIAMS RIO GRANDE LOCOMOTIVE #5720 sound activates about 10 seconds on its own & then stays on making a loud/ugly sound.  Only turns off when I hit the Bell on the transformer.  If I hit the Bell button every 7 or so seconds the Ugly sound does not come on.  No switch for turning off sound.  Can you remove the sound card or is there something inside the unit that you can adjust to turn off the sound ??

phillyreading

Have you taken the shell off and see if you can disconnect the wire harnes to the speaker or the TB-2 unit from the main circuit board.

Lee F.

kemacan

Took cover off; the speaker is connected with a one red & one black wire coming from the circuit board.  Looks like I can easily remove the speaker from base (2 screws) but the I will need to cut the speaker free (ie cut the red & black wire).  Do not see any way to remove wires from circuit board.  After cutting & removing speaker, just leave the wires loose inside?  Any thoughts that the circuit board will heat up with a continuous sounds being sent (but not heard)?  thanks for the help

phillyreading

Don't remove the speaker, just cut one wire about half way from the speaker and circiut board, and put small wire nut nuts on the wires. Leave enuff room on the wires in case you ever want to reconnect the wires.
Not sure but I don't think the circuit board will heat up by not having the speaker connected.

Lee F.

kemacan,
           Hi, 671 here. If the sound board is plugged into the electronic reverser board, then all you would need to do is unplug the sound board from the reverser board to de-power the sound system entirely. If the sound board is bad, you can order one from "Trainland" on-line > $30.00. Then just replace your sound board...Simple !

Hope this helps...671

dkmoss

If you have not modified the engine, this should be covered under Bachmann's lifetime warranty.

Unfortunately I have an engine right now at Bachmann trying to get it repaired and It has been 5 weeks since I sent it to them. :(

kemacan

671:  there are two cards (circuit cards, taped together with wires in between.  Not sure how to ID the sound card. 

The electronic reversing unit will have a pair of "Sugar Cube sized" relays on it. Usually Black or clear. The speaker wires go to the sound board. The reversing unit is wired directly to the chassis and the center roller pick-up.

r0gruth

Is the "sound" being dicussed the whistle/horn and bell sounds?
Roger

Huqfin

Interesting topic...Here's another question to throw in-
Is there a way to adjust the volume control for the diesel horn and bell? I've got a rather large layout and can't really hear either when the loco is at the far end...
I am assuming there has to be a pot. on the sound board...but since I just got my 20195 yesterday- I am reluctant to "tear into" it  already...        ???

SantaFe158

Quote from: Huqfin on January 19, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
Interesting topic...Here's another question to throw in-
Is there a way to adjust the volume control for the diesel horn and bell? I've got a rather large layout and can't really hear either when the loco is at the far end...
I am assuming there has to be a pot. on the sound board...but since I just got my 20195 yesterday- I am reluctant to "tear into" it  already...        ???

Yes, there is a little metal thing with a slot cut into it sticking up off of the sound board, turn it either way (one will turn it down, the other up) and that should fix your issue.

Huqfin,

Go to the post Dated March 20, 20011 " True Blast II Problems

This May Help...671