what mold release agent for WOODLAND SCENICS ROCK MOLDS

Started by kewatin, December 31, 2011, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

i am curious to what most modellers use for a release agent for there woodland scenics rock molds, their instructions are a little confusing, do i use a spray bottle of water with 2 drops of liquid detergent  to spray molds or add the detergent drops to the hydacal pour. i have also assumed that you spayed on a release agent first. as i don't want to damage my molds any help regarding the above question would be most helpfull.
regards&later KEWATIN  HAPPY NEW YRS TO ALL

Franz T

I don't use a spray bottle, I mix a few drops of dish washing liquid with about a cup of water, pour that into the mold, slosh it around, pour it out and then pour in the Hydrocal. DO NOT ADD THE DETERGENT TO THE HYDROCAL. The "wet water" is not so much a release agent; it lets the hydrcocal flow into all the little crevasses of the mold to prevent air bubbles and voids on the face of the casting. After the hydrocal is dry, the mold releases very easily, just gently peel it off; there is no way it can be damaged in the removal process...

Edit: And don't worry about getting all the "wet water" out of the mold before you pour, the hydrocal will displace it..