News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0

Started by richg, December 19, 2011, 10:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Looks like the 2-6-0 is shipping at Micro Mark.
Their choice, $99.00
You choose, $108.00.

Rich

curtwbb

My son just called me to tell me the loco is at the house. Unfortunately I work until midnight today and tomorrow I work from 8 AM to 4 PM, so I won't get a chance to run it until tomorrow :'(
Curt Webb

richg

I found this on another forum. Might be good for bashers.

Middle of front Wheel to Middle of First Drive Wheel 1-1/8 inches

Middle of First Drive Wheel to Middle of Second Drive Wheel 1-1/16 inches

Middle of Second Drive Wheel to Middle of Third Drive Wheel 15/16 inch

Drive Wheel Diameter (less flanges) 5/8 inch

Rich

curtwbb

Rich,
Someone asked for the measurements and I was on my way here to re post them in case it was here, I couldn't remember who asked ???

I ran the Mogul for around 20 minutes tonight and was very happy with it at low speed. I believe it is a very good value for the price and I will probably get another after the first of the year. The chuff is first rate.
Curt Webb

richg

Below is a quote by the one who posted the dimensions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
It ran well at slow speed (breaking it in).  It has a nice default whistle (2 additional choices) and bright lights. It does not have brake squeal. The chuff sound I think is very nice. All in all I think it was a very good buy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no idea what sounds it comes with and how much they can be modified.
If I was still running trains I would buy one but those days are over  for me.
I can do a little at home but no more going to the club.

Rich

richg

Oops, that is you on the Trains.com forum. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Rich

richg

Quote from: curtwbb on December 21, 2011, 07:30:41 PM
Rich,
Someone asked for the measurements and I was on my way here to re post them in case it was here, I couldn't remember who asked ???

I ran the Mogul for around 20 minutes tonight and was very happy with it at low speed. I believe it is a very good value for the price and I will probably get another after the first of the year. The chuff is first rate.

Cannot find the answer right now. I suspect he might have tried to hijack the thread in another discussion, maybe the EM-1. I am quite sure it was a thread related to this value series.
I will look around and maybe he will see this thread.
I will try to keep out of your discussions here and the other forum and let you do your thing. I am retired with plenty of free time.

Rich

curtwbb

Rich- I have no issues with you. Feel free to join in on any of my posts if you feel like it. After all we are all here to socialize and learn. Sorry if I sounded upset, it was not my intention. ;D
Curt Webb

richg

Quote from: curtwbb on December 21, 2011, 08:21:12 PM
Rich- I have no issues with you. Feel free to join in on any of my posts if you feel like it. After all we are all here to socialize and learn. Sorry if I sounded upset, it was not my intention. ;D

No, you did not ound upset.

Cheers

Rich

rrbob

:'(  I just bought the new Alco 2-6-0 and can not get it to run on DC.
I am using an old MRC  power pack and that may be the problem. All I get is the lights flashing and according to the manual that means there is a problem. It says it does that when the track power is over 21 volts.  I have the pulse power switch off so that is not the problem.
The manual says it needs a "high quality, electronically regulated power pack...older rheostat style power packs... should not be used with this sound decoder."
I have also tried using the power pack from a Bachmann Thomas train set, and I get the same flashing lights.
Any ideas what the problem might be?  Do I need to get an up-to-date power pack?
Thanks.
Bob D.
???

rrbob

It was my old stype transformer that was the problem.  It runs like a champ now! 
Love it!
Bob D.

railtwister

As for the brake squeal sounds and this decoder, Bachmann's own literature states that cv#196 is for brake squeal sensitivity, and the factory setting is 03, indicating that it may already be there on the decoder, just set so that you can't hear it. If there is no brake squeal sound on the decoder, why is there a cv listed for it? Here's a link to the cv sheet:

<http://soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_2-6-0_sv.pdf>

The same is true of the S4 diesel, which has a similar decoder. As soon as I can get a chance, I plan to play around with the settings for the brake squeal sensitivity to see if it will unlock some brake sounds.

Bill in FL

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rrbob on December 31, 2011, 11:53:19 PM
It was my old stype transformer that was the problem.  It runs like a champ now! 
Love it!
Bob D.

Hoping you see this, can I ask what you're now using to run this engine on DC? I'm currently running DC with a couple of MRC Railpower 1370s. In spite of myself I'm now looking at one of these engines, but I don't want to buy one that I can't run.

Thanks!

JBJ