Mr. Bach-man, my Christmas gift engine has one axle splitting

Started by on30gn15, January 01, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Mr. Bach-man, my Christmas gift engine has one axle splitting :( and at both ends.

Took body off Western Maryland 44-tonner on the 30th to allow access for repainting engineer figure, and for painting wheels to look grubby and rusty, and saw one of the white nylon axle gear parts splitting at each end. Don't know about the other axles.

I'd rather just get the parts and replace them myself than return engine - been wanting it for a year - and now that it's here I am not letting go of it! ;D 

Oh, probably ought to relay that it is the current DCC On Board 44 tonner mechanism with one motor mounted in frame.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

rogertra

It's NOT the axle that's splt, it's the gear.

While you have it apart, check the other gears.

Anyhow, it's still a pain.  You have two choices.

1)  Send it back.

2)  Order the part(s) and repair it yourself.

railtwister

Bummer. At least you should be within the warranty period. Here's yet another loco to be leery of purchasing because of the all too common "Bachmann Cracked Gear Syndrome". Replacing the wheelsets may be possible IF Bachmann can supply the parts, or you can send it back to Bachmann for replacement, but mostly likely, you'll just be "kicking the can down the road" until such time when the new parts also crack in a similar fashion. I guess I should get my 44 (and 70) tonners out of the shed and check them as well.

Good luck,
Bill

jerryl

According to the picture it is the axle that is split. It hasn't got to the gear yet!

bobwrgt

I have been using Bachmann engines for over 20 years.  In HO and also N scale.
If you call the service department and let them know what you need for repair they will send you what you need. Treat them like humans and don't give off the negative attitude and many time they have sent me warranty parts at no charge and more than what i needed. Never had a problem.

Bob

on30gn15

Decided to begin with an e-mail from the place on the service department pages on here.

Sent this
QuoteGot the little joker for Christmas.
Being the kind of model railroader I am, the other day I removed loco's body to allow access for repainting engineer figure, cab interior, and wheel faces.

At that point it was noticed that the white nylon gear and axle part on at least one axle was split.

There is an entry about it, with photo, on HO forum.

Have parts sheet here and it shows that the gear/axle part is not available individually, it comes as part #80003 with wheels installed.

I don't want to send loco back, I've been wanting it for almost a year and my parents totally surprised me and got it for me for Christmas - even with me being 48 years old - since Social Security Disability doesn't give me a whole lot of hobby money.
It's mine now and I'm not willing to let it out of my sight!
And, anyway, I am perfectly capable of replacing the parts myself, when the body behaves for that day.

Thanks,
later, Forrest

on30gn15

It's been a week and haven't heard back on the e-mail.
Given the volume it might be imagined they are getting this time of year is kind of understandable.

Called the 800 number.
Lady there said I need to get the receipt or Bachmann will have to charge me for the parts.

Can kind of understand that too.

But nothing like going to the people who gave you the thing and saying, "Hey, you gave me a jacked up Christmas gift, gimme your receipt".
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Quote from: rogertra on January 10, 2012, 05:36:28 PM
Did you send in the warranty card?

If you did, you don't need a receipt.
Ah, forgot about that in the post holiday stuff.
later, Forrest