News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

McKinley Explorer N-Scale Starter Kit -> DCC?

Started by marcus777, January 02, 2012, 08:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcus777

Hi,
is it possible to equip the McKinley Explorer StarterSet Train (EMD F9) with a DCC Decoder? If yes, which one do you recommend?
Do you also have any recommendations for DCC + sound?
Thanks in advance!  :)
Marcus

Ken G Price

As a DCC only modeler my opinion is that it is not worth the effort.
The Bachmann train set engines are not made with DCC in mind.
They are for running on a circle of track roundy round with DC.

Now saying that, Bachmann does makes many high end engines, steam and diesel, 
that are made so they can have a DCC decoder installed and run very well with one.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

skipgear

Quote from: marcus777 on January 02, 2012, 08:13:51 AM
Hi,
is it possible to equip the McKinley Explorer StarterSet Train (EMD F9) with a DCC Decoder? If yes, which one do you recommend?
Do you also have any recommendations for DCC + sound?
Thanks in advance!  :)
Marcus

It can be done but will require much grinding and work to make room for the decoder. Don't bother with sound, the loco is too loud and will drown out the sound of the decoder. Besides, it will take a lot more grinding and milling to make room for speakers, the larger decoder and a stay alive capacitor.

I believe Intermountain did the Alaska RR F9's at one point and they are a much better loco and capable of DCC and sound. If you are serious about sound, this is where I would start looking.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

marcus777

Hi Ken, hi Tony,

thanks for your answers.

Well I guess that sound will be no option then. I guess I have to see if it can be done when I get a set here in Germany.
There are some small decoders available and if they still are to large the decoder has to go in the engine dummy...

Again thanks for your answers!
Marcus