News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hell on Wheels

Started by Terry Toenges, January 02, 2012, 01:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 28, 2016, 08:40:36 PM
All Quiet on the Western Front is a required reading in NY state.

Yep, read it myself ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Still  have my paperback  copy in my library ,  I think  I read it  in senior year high school  .    I enjoyed it .  Interesting  Title  , nothing much happened except the main character  dies .   Another  unnecessary war started by  incompetent   "leaders"  with egos   and no sense  .  Four  empires  died  because of it .  Russia , the Ottoman ,   German  ,  and  Austro-Hungarian  all ruled   by   less than intellectually   distinguished    people  .  None of whom actually  built the "Empires" .  John2 .

jbrock27

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on July 30, 2016, 08:16:01 AM
I think  I read it  in senior year high school  . nothing much happened except the main character  dies .
John2 .

Not sure how you can come away making that statement if you actually read the whole book ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

I was referring to the "Title" The main character was killed so close to the end of the war after having suffered with the consequences on a Day that was described as so uneventful as "All quiet on the Western Front"  The book definitely  describes the effects of the war on the participants  both military and civilian and lack of real honest information on the conditions by the governments involved on both sides.   John2.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on July 31, 2016, 09:55:08 AM
I was referring to the "Title" John2.

Thanks for clarifying as that was not clear.

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on July 31, 2016, 09:55:08 AM
The book definitely  describes...lack of real honest information on the conditions by the governments involved on both sides.   John2.

Written from the German perspective, not recalling it going into the other side of things ???
Keep Calm and Carry On