2-10-2 Loco backup light w/powercab?

Started by jadair, January 04, 2012, 05:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadair

greetings - I'm new to dcc so this might be obvious, but how do I control the backup light from my power cab? motion and front light work. do I have to program the power cab to use the b/u light? Also, can you tell me which sound decoder would work (USRA Light 2-10-2)? Is it simpler to replace the factory decoder? Thanks - Jeff

richg

Right out of the box, the Power Cab should operate the rear light when you select, reverse. If not, reset the decoder. CV8, enter 8.
I use the Power Cab.
SoundTraxx recommends a heavy steam for a 2-10-2 and a medium steam for a 2-10-0. Same price.
The range in price from about $50.00 to about $140.00, depending on the brand. You will need a 28mm round speaker. Right out of the box, the Power Cab should operate the rear light when you select, reverse. If not, reset the decoder. CV8, enter 8.
I use the Power Cab.
SoundTraxx recommends a heavy steam for a 2-10-2 and a medium steam for a 2-10-0. Same price.
The range in price from about $50.00 to about $140.00, depending on the brand. You will need a 28mm round speaker. Make sure the decoder comes with the matching 8 pin NMRA plug. Some do not.
There are speakers with better sound capability but that can get a little more complicated as you are new to DCC.
A speaker opening in the tender might be an issue. Turn the tender upside down. If no speaker holes, you will have to drill your own and reposition the weights and maybe the PC board.
I just looked at the diagrams for the DCC onboard and the 2-10-2 with sound.
This will be somewhat of a challenge for someone who is new to DCC.

Rich

Jim Banner

Normally, the front and rear lights are turned on and off by function 0.  Which of the two is on depends on which way the locomotive is moving. 

Other arrangements are possible depending on how you program the decoder.  For example, I like to program my diesels so that the headlight is on 'if function 0 is on AND the locomotive is moving forward' (which is the same as saying the headlight is off 'if function 0 is off OR the locomotive is moving backward.')  That is the same as a normal headlight.  But I program the rear light so it is on 'if function 0 is on AND function 4 is on AND the locomotive is moving in reverse' (which is the same as saying the rear light is off 'if function 0 is off OR function 4 is off or the locomotive is moving forward.')  I mention this because if you bought your locomotive used, a previous owner may have programmed something similar into it.  If new and the tender light does not work, several possibilities come to mind:
- bad bulb in the tender light
- no bulb in the tender light
- bad decoder
- error in the decoder's programming.
The latter you can correct by resetting the decoder.  Depending on decoder make and model, that could be as simple as programming an 8 into CV8.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jadair

Thanks for the info. The light does in fact work when in reverse...just user error on my part:) Since this is my first attempt at DCC and sound I'd rather stay on the lower side of the sound decoder range. I don't think I'll use all the features of the soundtraxx heavy steam...is there another alternative?

Thanks

Jeff

richg

Quote from: jadair on January 05, 2012, 01:50:23 PM
Thanks for the info. The light does in fact work when in reverse...just user error on my part:) Since this is my first attempt at DCC and sound I'd rather stay on the lower side of the sound decoder range. I don't think I'll use all the features of the soundtraxx heavy steam...is there another alternative?

Thanks

Jeff

NIce that you came back with a solution. Some never do.
No idea what you men by, stay on the lower end.
You sound like you are happy with the way the loco is running so stay with that. If you get adventurous, try a couple changes at a time and write down what you do so you can reverse what you have done if not happy with the changes.
Your controller handbook and the SoundTraxx documents will help you a lot.
Using DCC is like using a PC. Most of us never use our PC to its fullest potential. I can do a lot but still not even close to half of the potential of my PC and I use a Linux Operating Sysytem in all my PC's.

Rich