News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC with multiple controlers

Started by thomasm, January 04, 2012, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasm

I have a new train set that we purchased with 2 DCC equipped engines, along with an expansion track pack.  It came with 1 controller.  I have 2 children and they would both like a controller to controller their own train.
1) Can this be done with DCC?
2) If so, what is the model number of the additional controller I need to purchase so that I can have 2 controllers.
3) I am assuming it would be straight forward to hook up the 2 controllers, but if not, is there something I should know about before doing this?

Secondly, I want to hook up an automatic reverse loop module, but some books I read say you need to have some Gap Tracks?
1) Does this come in the Easy Track?
2) What is the model number for this?
3) Where do these gaps need to be (I am assuming right after the switch or something.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Doneldon

tom-

Assuming your set came with the Bachmann EZ DCC Controller, you need the Walk Around Companion, as found at:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1457

Do not connect more than one DCC system to a given section of track. You use only one controller and, except in the case of the Bachmann EZ Command, added cab controls. The Bachmann EZ Command lets you use up to three Walk Arounds. You can also use a regular power pack as an extra device to control one non-DCC loco, freeing position ten on your EZ Command for a tenth DCC loco. However, you will run out of power long before you connect more than one additional controller unless you buy the Bachmann Booster.

That item, unfortunately, is very expensive, so much so that you'll be way ahead if you sell your EZ Command on ebay and purchase a more powerful DCC system. The Bachmann Dynamis is a good choice or you can see what other manufacturers offer for entry level systems. These will all be a lot pricier than the EZ Command but they'll provide much more power and infinitely more versatility than the EZ DCC Command system.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

Ken G Price

Gap tracks means that you create a gap in the rails.
This can be done by leaving a slight space between rails
or adding in a plastic space to keep them from touching.
There are many skills to learn in model railroading if you do more then a loop of track.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jim Banner

I am not sure if I am misinterpreting the question or Doneldon's answer or whether I am just confused by the terminology.  Let's tackle the terminology first.  "Controller" is a tricky word when it comes to DCC.  The E-Z Command is often referred to as a controller because that is exactly what it does - control the trains.  But in DCC terminology, that box contains the 3 of the 4 essential parts of any DCC system:

(1) a throttle which is the human/electronics interface.  If turns human commands like turning knobs and pushing buttons into electrical signals.

(2) a command station which is the brains of the outfit.  It turns human commands into digital commands that decoders can understand.  In some cases, it can receive commands back from decoders and translate them into text or other events that humans can understand.

(3) a booster that adds power to the digital commands so that when a decoder reads the digital commands sent to it, it can act upon them.  The booster built into the E-Z Command can put out about 1.5 amps which is enough to run several trains.

(4) a decoder which is not in the "controller" but is in the locomotive.  You might call it the "controllee" as it receives power from the booster and commands from the command station and acts upon them to run the locomotive to which it is wired.

As I understand your question, Tom, you would like one extra throttle to use with your throttle/command station/booster combination so that both your children can each have a throttle in their hand, letting each run his/her own train.  The device specified by Doneldon in his link will do just that.  You will not run out of power running just two trains and so you will not need the very expensive external booster Doneldon talked about.

Doneldon is correct that you cannot have more than one command station connected to a layout.  But you can have multiple throttles and multiple boosters, the number depending on the particular DCC system.  Some systems will accommodate up to 120 throttles and any number of boosters, but still only one command station.  Such systems are designed for large club layouts.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

Don't Be scared off by some of the technical aspects mentioned here.

What you want to do is EXTREMELY simple.

You Have the EZ Command, buy the walk around companion, the cord and plug you need comes with it.

You will have to change the address of one of your locomotives to a differant one if you have not done it already follow the directions of the EZ-command and do that.

For my kids I set up an inner and outer loop connected by turnouts, your reversing loop idea will have them Hi-balling head on into each other if they refuse to wait their turn on the main line. they will also have to run short trains or there wont be room for them in the same loop while one waits for the other to clear the turnout

If you must do a reversing loop here's what you need to make  an easy set up. (besides the track)

1. pack of HO insulating rail joiners the ones I use are atlas and they are clear.

2. (1) straight rerailer/feed track

3. (2) curved rerailer/feed track

4. (1)  reversing module  (some will say you need two I use one and it works just fine)

5. (1) 10' accessory cord, (you can splice it in the middle with wire the to make it longer if needed)

I'm going to try and keep this simple.

Sent up your track with the loops at either end, use one curved rerailer in each loop,
and straight in the mainline between them. ( do this so it is easy to figure out where the gaps go.

With your track set up NOW disconnect the first Tracks that are connected to the fork end of your turnouts.    Wiggle pull and pry off the metal joiners from the forked end of the turnouts and the track that connects to them.  Replace the joiners with the plastic joiners. (do the above for both loops on either end of your layout) reassemble your track

Now  connect the reversing loop module to the mainline and one of the loops as the directions of the module state.  NOW from the other side of the rerailer in the loop (where you plugged the reversing module wire in to it) plug the 10" accessory cord in  and plug the other end into the other loop.

adjust the setting on the top of the reverser and run trains.

This will work fine as is the only issue is if both trains bridge the gap at the same time. 

All that said. I really recommend you spend the money on track for an inside and outside loop. you will be head aches and happy kids ahead!

NM-Jeff

thomasm

Thanks all for the great feedback.  I believe that I have the answers to what I need.  I do have 2 children and they each want to control throttle and sounds of their respective trains at the same time.  I do have 2 tracks (An Outer Main line and an Inner figure eight with a train yard).  So I believe I can do the following:

1) Hook up my DCC Command Module that came with my set to the track.
2) Purchase the DCC Walk Around Companion and hook that up to the Main DCC Command Module, NOT to the track.  This will allow me to provide throttle control to the 2 trains and provide the main DCC Command Module to one of my children and the Walk Around Companion to my other child to control his train.
3) If I want to create a auto reverse loop, I can purchase ONE Reversion Module and a pack of HO insulating rail joiners.  Create an extension to my current layout and add this loop as specified in NarrowMinded's instruction.  This will allow me to reverse the trains on one of the lines if I want.

Once again, thanks to all the quick feedback.  I think I will stick with the Bachmann DCC Commander for now, since this is mainly for my children, but as they get older and we expand I will probably upgrade the DCC control to something else.

Tom

NarrowMinded

You are on your way....

If your just going to add one loop that is even simpler and the layout you have described with a reversing loop off of a spur is a great idea.

My girls use ez-track because they like to build their own lines, they like the double reversing loop with a siding on the main line for passing they run through rooms and down hallways one is in one room and the other is in the another and I m the dispatcher, we use twoway radios to talk to each other and see how long we can run trains without a problem.

My next project for "Them" ;D is to get some wireless cameras to mount to the top of the engines or a trailing car so they can watch on a monitor while driving from each room and stop and go using signals I set up. sort of like interactive semi real video games.

BTW they are girly girls... the trains usually haul dolls and toys in open gondolas.

NM-Jeff