Woodland Scenics destroyed by fire

Started by richg, January 05, 2012, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Really Really Terrible news!!! Good news is no one was hurt ,they all got out safely lets all be thankful for that....
Rocky Lives

NarrowMinded

Johnson Bar Jeff

That's terrible!

Glad to know no one was hurt.

Bad for model railroaders, worse for the 150 people who are now out of work--at least temporarily, I guess.

:(

mabloodhound

The latest announcement was that only one of their 3 buildings was affected and they plan on re-opening today.   Looks like the company isn't going to fold just because of a fire.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: mabloodhound on January 06, 2012, 09:41:34 AM
The latest announcement was that only one of their 3 buildings was affected and they plan on re-opening today.   Looks like the company isn't going to fold just because of a fire.

That's good news!  :)

on30gn15

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 06, 2012, 12:52:40 PM
Quote from: mabloodhound on January 06, 2012, 09:41:34 AM

That's good news!  :)

Indeed!
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

speeddemon5

good news they are re-opening as i am about to start remodeling a layout after 20 years of idle time for me!!! thanks for the updates!!

on30gn15

http://articles.kspr.com/2012-01-06/electrical-fire_30600158

QuoteFirefighters: An Electrical Fire Sparked a Large Factory Blaze at Woodland Scenics in Linn Creek
About 120 firefighters fought the fire for 13 hours Thursday
January 06, 2012|Emily Rittman, Ben Knaup | Reporter, Photographer

Linn Creek, Mo —

Firefighters say an electrical fire destroyed part of one of the largest employers in Linn Creek. An electrical malfunction in an exhaust fan motor sparked the blaze that took 13 hours to extinguish. The factory is a staple in the community that employs about 150 people. The workers make scenery for model trains.

On Friday, an excavator cleared burned pieces of the factory. "They have a lot of people and a lot of paychecks that depend on them," Jim Fisher said. Fisher lives next door to the factory. The water used to fight the fire filled his back yard but firefighters kept the flames from reaching his home.

Fisher and other members of the community are concerned about what's next for the factory's workers. "It's a big worry of mine," Fisher said. "Everyone needs a job." Brandon Smith once worked at the factory. He also saw it up in flames. "There were big dark clouds and big flames," Smith said. "The factory is quite important to the community. The lake jobs around here are seasonal so it's hard to find work."

The Osage Beach fire chief says the foam and cardboard products inside the factory made it difficult to fight the fire. They used about 200,000 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze. The fire temporarily drained the city's water supply which caused a boil order. Even though the fire impacted the water supply, many hope it won't impact employment long term. "I heard they are rebuilding and I hope they do," Smith said.

KSPR News contacted the factory. As of news time, the spokesperson had not returned calls. City leaders say the boil order will be lifted once a sample test shows there is no contamination. Eighteen different agencies and 120 firefighters responded to the scene. The fire damaged about 8,000 square feet of a 30,000 square foot building.

If you know where Lake of the Ozarks is, and where Lake of the Ozarks State Park is, Linn Creek is a bit West of the State Park.
Or about 30 miles NW of Fort Leonard Wood.

http://articles.ky3.com/2012-01-06/linn-creek_30600131

QuoteFire at Linn Creek manufacturer ruled accidental
community hopes company will rebuild
The fire broke out Thursday at Woodland Scenics, the town's largest employer, known worldwide for model landscape accessories.
January 06, 2012|by Linda Russell | KY3 Reporter

LINN CREEK, Mo.-- A fire at a Linn Creek manufacturer is ruled accidental.  Friday, cleanup was already underway at Woodland Scenics' downtown facility.  The company, which has multiple buildings in Linn Creek, is the town's largest employer.

The flames shot high into the Linn Creek sky Thursday afternoon.  "You could see it way above those trees," says next door neighbor Jim Fisher.

Dark smoke rolled through the town, and the news traveled fast.  "I was shocked, totally shocked," says Kelley McDaniel, who came to see the damage at her former employer of 12 years.  She just quit a few months ago to take care of her grandson.  "The time I spent with them, I was in sales, and I loved every minute of it," says McDaniel.

About 8,000 square feet of charred remains are already being picked up and hauled off.  As much damage as the fire caused here at Woodland Scenics, it could have been much worse.  Everyone's just thankful that all the employees made it out safely.  "That was the first question I asked, because it could have very well turned out differently," says McDaniel.

"The fact that none of their people were hurt and none of our firefighters were hurt is what's truly important," says Osage Beach Fire Chief Jeff Dorhauer.

An overheated motor in an exhaust fan is blamed for the fire.  "There was some manufacturing in that part; the lunch room was in that part," says McDaniel.

The company, known worldwide for it's model landscape accessories, is very important to the community, employing about 150 people.  "They're keeping most of their help on is what I understand to help rebuild it, and this isn't the only part of the factory," says Fisher.

McDaniel says, "If I know Woodland Scenics like I think I do, this will just be a hiccup and they'll be right back going strong as ever just here shortly."

Woodland Scenics has not released any information to KY3 News, so rebuilding plans are unclear at this time.  More than a dozen fire departments responded to the fire, and had to shuttle water to the fire, because the town's water supply just wasn't enough.  Linn Creek remains under a boil order as a result.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Johnson Bar Jeff

My heart aches for all the people affected by the fire.  :'(

I wish them all the best and a speedy return to normal.

WoundedBear

This from one of my other forums...........

"Dear all,

As you may have heard we have experienced a fire here at Woodland
Scenics and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that no
one was hurt during the fire or evacuation process. The bad news is that
it took out a couple of our manufacturing buildings. However, and
fortunately, there is more good news than bad.

We encompass multiple buildings that are spread out all over the town of
Linn Creek. We only lost two of those buildings and those two contained
just a small portion of our manufacturing facilities. Our shipping
department, warehouse and corporate offices were spared any damage, as
were most of our manufacturing buildings, so it is business as usual.

Thanks for all your concerns.

Respectfully,

Gale Cousins
Director of Sales & Customer Service
Woodland Scenics"

Looks like all will be fine.
Sid