News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Newbie

Started by lancasterprr, January 08, 2012, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancasterprr

Have jusrt decided at age 56 to return to model RR. Back in the 60's, I had some AF S Gauge stuff and let it all go to a collector..... DUMB! Decided that my theme will be a train museum in the 1890's and to that end have collected:
Bachmann John Bull
Bachmann 4-4-0 American in PRR
Mantua 1860 coach (2) and combine in PRR
I intend to get the "Pegasus" and convert to the "Lancaster" loco that was used to help transport free slaves from Lancaster to Harrisburg thanks to some cleverly designed coaches that held 4 slaves in hidden compartments.

It's my latest aquisition that has me somewhat baffled. I was at my local Boscov's store and they had a Bachmann "Liberty Bell Special" on sale. I was intrigued and gobbled one up. Since then, I cannot find any reference to this set anywhere! It is HO, includes 2-6-0 Mogul w/tender (PRR #76....I know...no such # on PRR)(no smoke?!?!?!?), 1860 combine "Philidelphia", 1860 coach "Boston", and converted flatcar carrying the Liberty Bell with flags, EZ steel track and controller.
Anybody know any more about this set?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Sounds like maybe something Bachmann did especially for Boscov's, so not a regularly catalogued item?

That flat car with the Liberty Bell sounds kinda neat. Darn! I was in the Boscov's at Park City right after Christmas and never even thought to look there for trains!  :(

phillyreading

Wish I was at Boscov's in Reading PA. Last time they had some interesting K-Line stuff for sale in O gauge, maybe they would have some discontinued Williams for sale that they don't list on the website.

Lee F.
originally from Scranton PA

richg

I did some searching for Bachmann liberty bell special but all I found was Boscov's. Might have to do some digging.
You might also post a message in the Trains.com, Model Railroader Forum. There are considerably more people there and many have been in model railroading for many years.

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/88.aspx

Rich

richg

Try and email Boscov's.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The Liberty Bell is the set we did for Boscov's this year. It commemorates the Liberty Bell's tour early last century.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 11, 2012, 12:35:04 AM
And it's still for sale.

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Department.bos?type=Department&departmentNumber=6173500&pdn=15000000

Jerry

Thank you for finding and posting that link! I tried the Boscov's website yesterday but couldn't find anything.

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 11, 2012, 08:51:58 AM
And it's still for sale.

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Department.bos?type=Department&departmentNumber=6173500&pdn=15000000

Jerry

Thank you for finding and posting that link! I tried the Boscov's website yesterday but couldn't find anything.

Below is a suggestion for searching for something. Since Boscov was mentioned, it was an easy search.
I used Google and put in the below.

Bachmann liberty bell special Boscov

Many are not aware on how much info you can find on the 'Net with a few searches and "Patience", the same thing we use in model railroading.

You can actually save for more links than you can remember to easily find later.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: richg on January 11, 2012, 03:05:27 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 11, 2012, 08:51:58 AM
And it's still for sale.

Jerry

Below is a suggestion for searching for something. Since Boscov was mentioned, it was an easy search.
I used Google and put in the below.

Bachmann liberty bell special Boscov

Many are not aware on how much info you can find on the 'Net with a few searches and "Patience", the same thing we use in model railroading.

You can actually save for more links than you can remember to easily find later.

Rich

Perhaps when I tried searching the Boscov's website yesterday they doing some work on it, or on their server, or something. What I actually did was click on the link for Toys, and got an Unavailable message. It's available now, however; I just tried again, and there it was.

Or maybe I should just add a signature line for myself to read something like, "An analog brain in a digital world."  ;D

richg

Yeah, once in a while that happens to me but quite rare.
My first link actually took me right to the ad for the train set at Boscov. Y
our mileage can vary with the search engine you use.

I am over 70 and still learning. Only been using the Internet since 1996 so I am a newbie.
I am always fine tuning the search process so it is rare that I have to bother a forum with a question.
I throughly enjoy the challenge of searching.

Rich

ebtnut

FWIW, from looking at the train set box, the loco appears to be one of the Bachmann variants of the USRA 0-6-0, which I believe they have issued as both a 2-6-0 and a 2-6-2.  The USRA locos were built in 1917-18, so are well beyond the turn of the century.

RobBob

Beware and do not order anything on line directly from links on this site.  I recently purchased a locomotive from a shop in Pennsylvania. The next day my credit card company called me to ask if I had been purchasing a large number of TV sets and cameras.  Wha???  No I had not.  Identity theft is a very serious issue.  Make sure you do not use these links.  At least google for the actual shop for their IP address and make sure it starts with HTTPS:// or don't go there.  Fortunately for me, my credit card company was right on top of things and saved me from thousands of dollars in fraud charges.

good luck to all,

Robert
Brass Hat,  Belt line Union Railroad
"Ship it in a BLURR"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on January 11, 2012, 06:47:13 PM
FWIW, from looking at the train set box, the loco appears to be one of the Bachmann variants of the USRA 0-6-0, which I believe they have issued as both a 2-6-0 and a 2-6-2.  The USRA locos were built in 1917-18, so are well beyond the turn of the century.

I figured that about the engine. I can't readily get to a Boscov's myself, so last night I made arrangements for a "spy" to check out the set--if they still have it in the store he can get to--and report back to me.  ;D We'll see what he says.

I don't question the retail price of the set. However, I would be interested in the Liberty Bell car (and maybe the passenger cars), but otherwise, there's nothing in the set that I need, or, to be perfectly honest, want. So essentially I'd be paying full retail and shipping for one car. That does give pause. ...

lancasterprr

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 10, 2012, 11:11:18 PM
Dear All,
The Liberty Bell is the set we did for Boscov's this year. It commemorates the Liberty Bell's tour early last century.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thanks, Bach-Man. I was thinking this may have been a Boscov's-only release.

Quote from: ebtnut on January 11, 2012, 06:47:13 PM
FWIW, from looking at the train set box, the loco appears to be one of the Bachmann variants of the USRA 0-6-0, which I believe they have issued as both a 2-6-0 and a 2-6-2.  The USRA locos were built in 1917-18, so are well beyond the turn of the century.

ebnut, I fear you may be right. The parts diagram DOES say USRA....don't know how I overlooked it.  But, on the other hand, the loco looks more like the Bachmann Pennsylvania #3233 Product Code: 56514 which is the Mogul (with engine #76 substituted). But, as I noted...this one does not have smoke whereas both the Mogul and the USRA do!! This is why I'm really confused! Just wish Bachmann would put the product codes on the locos (unless they do and I'm not looking in the right place)