Help with Power-routing Bachman HO EZ track #5 switches

Started by steveeusd, February 10, 2007, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

I need someone's help.  I thought Bachmann's HO EZ track #5 switches were power-routed, meaning once the switch was thrown in one direction, one track would be powered and the other would be dead.   One application would be providing power to the main line and killing the power to a parallel siding.  My intent was to run the layout with Bachmann's EZ-Command DCC unit, where I would run a DCC train and a DC train concurrently, and have the ability to pull the DC train onto the siding and let it remain stationary without power (so that the AC current would not fry the DC motor).  

OR Is this capability only found in the Bachmann's "regular" (#4 I believe) switch, where the frog is insulated?

I realize that one possible work-around would be to insulate the siding track and apply separate power to it, effectively making the siding a separate "block".   But, I would rather not do that.  Any help would be most appreciated as I am very upset with myself because I did not research this better and assumed #5 switches were power-routed.  But, you know what happens when one assumes!

Steve

chucknlead

Keep in mind that EZ track is intended as an entry level track that you could assemble on you carpet. (like me) It is designed for quick assembly and ease of use. Don't expect many "Advanced" features from the track, switches or EZ command. It's slick, simple and AFFORDABLE.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My railroad is outgrowing EZ Command. I have about fifteen locomotives but EZ command only has eight addresses for DCC equipped locos. I'm gonna have to be creative and de-energize sidings to allow multiple addressing of engines.

Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Nigel

No HO scale EZ track turnouts are power routing.

In these times of DCC, manufacturers are generally moving away from power routing, and it is believe to complicate things for most DCC implimentations.

Insulated rail joiners and a relay switched at the same time as the turnout is but one way around this.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955