Main Menu

whats the best track for...

Started by erichthegerman, July 19, 2007, 01:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erichthegerman

i have two amtrak amfleet phase 4 cars and they seem to derail what should i do

Guilford Guy

What's your curve radii?
Do they derail when run together or by themselves, If by themselves then you might want to check your track and make sure the track and wheels are in gauge...
Alex

erichthegerman

well lets see  i believe it is "18" and they are long cars  ???

erichthegerman

and they derail when together ESPECIALLY while in push mode

SteamGene

I think that your cars are too long for your radii.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Gene is correct.

Full length passenger car really need something around 28 to 30 inch minimumm radius curves for reliable operation.

Paul M.

But, you might be able to get away with 22" radius curves. :-\

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Conrail Quality

Provided the train is not too long, and the track is connected properly, you can use 22". I do it all the time, although I want to get 26" so I can run my Walthers Viewliner as well. But space is finite...
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

There is another issue here.   The author says that the derailments happen,  especially when the cars are pushed.   If the cars have talgo trucks,   trucks with the couplers attached,  then that will be a problem with either long or shorter cars.   The pressure against the coupler is transfered to the trucks and can lead to derailments especially on tighter radii.  If indeed,  you have talgo trucks,  then you would be best served to body mount the couplers.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

SteamGene

He doesn't say who made them or when.  I hadn't considered Talgo since they seem to be more and more rare.  Weren't they designed for tight radii? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Insert Quote 
well lets see  i believe it is "18" and they are long cars

Do yourself a favour; don't money around with either long cars and short radius.  Use either short cars and tight radii, or use longer radii.  A lot of this  is going to be a compromise, because most of us aren't blessed with the means to acquire a 100-ft barn, complete with heat, running water, and its own potty.

Go first for quality, reliability, and practicality; then go for the superficial stuff.  There are dozens of ways to make a layout appear longer than it really is; don't go tweaking common sense on the nose.  He has big feet!!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

thirdrail

The original poster does not say what scale the Amfleet cars are, nor who made them, and if Bachmann, whether they are new or old production (they're different cars). While an 18" radius should be adequate for the old production N scale cars, the new ones supposedly require 19". Remember, this is in N scale.  If the cars are HO, they probably require 36 to 40 inch radius curves.

Conrail Quality

You can get away with running most HO passenger cars on 26". It won't look good, but it will work. 30" or higher is a better choice for HO.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

If you have long cars with talgo trucks and some that have body mounted trucks, lookout.  They will derail on large curves.  I don't think you have the problem with short cards.  I think the only cars I have on the layout with talgo trucks is one passenger train. 

ebtbob

Gene,

In answer to your question,  yes,  Talgo trucks were designed for use on tight radii.   That does not change the dynamic that when pushing any car,  regardles off length,  the talgo truck may derail due to the pressure from the coupler.   I cannot tell you how many times - as a youngster - I relaid track thinking my derailment problems were doe to poor track work when in reality,  the problem was the talgo trucks on my AHM cars.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org