News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

whats the best track for...

Started by erichthegerman, July 19, 2007, 01:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Bob, I'm aware that pushing Talgo mounts invites derailing.  My point, only, was that they came about to allow cars to traverse very tight radii.  "When in doubut, body mount."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

erichthegerman

thanx all i appreciate your efforts and it is ho scale , and steam gene i find you  in every post how do you do it ?. i can barely keep up with mine .   

etg...

SteamGene

I'm retired and I read fast.  Right now I'm somewhere in the 500s in the last Potter book.
Chief Brass Hat

thoepf

Hi everyone.  I'm new to this hobby and would be very grateful if someone could answer my question.  I am planning to run three parallel tracks around the perimeter of a fairly large room.  They will be on a shelf above the doors and windows.  HO scale.  I have so far got three 50 piece boxes of 9" steel EZ track and know I will need more.  My question:  will this kind of track work OK for this?  The outside circle will be a Santa Fe passenger train.  The middle will be a Santa Fe 3 diesel freight and the inside track will be a 4-8-4 Union Pacific freight.  Is 40 to 50 cars too much to pull for these two freight trains?  I guess that was 2 questions.  Sorry.  Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.  Thanks,  TH

SteamGene

I'm wondering how you are going to see the inside train with that wide a shelf at that height.  Or are you going to stairstep the track? 
Steel track is not a good idea I don't think.  You want nickel silver and for that amount of track, using flex track would cost you a great deal less. 
Who builds the locomotives?  Will all the diesels be powered?  What size are the cars?   All of this has a play in the number of cars you can run.  I'm assuming that you are using no grade and wide curves.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

thoepf

SteamGene,  Thanks for your reply!  All 3 diesels are powered.  Two are Bachman, one is an Atlas.  Cars are a mixture of Athearn, Roundhouse, Bachman and some others.  Some bought new from a local hobby shop that went out of business and others picked up at local train shows.  All are just standard size, I think, a mixture of boxcars mostly, with some tankers, flatcars, coal cars and a few auto carriers etc.  The steamer is a 4-8-4 Bachman that comes in the Overland Limited train set which includes a 9 car consist.  I suppose I should sell the boxes of track and start looking for some flex.  Do they make nickel silver flex?  I may stairstep the tracks.  The room measures 18' x 23' so each train should be visible at some point with one going in the opposite direction of the other two and each running at different speeds I think.  Terry