Recent purchase of a " Southern Pacific™ 4-8-4 GS-4", having trouble

Started by jgny, January 08, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgny

Good evening all,

This is my first post on the Bachmann Message Board.  I purchased a  "Southern Pacific™ 4-8-4 GS-4", model #40001, for my son.  We're running the train on Lionel's Fastrack.  The transformer we're utilizing is 40 watt.  The train seems to not be getting enough power to the motor, it's not moving even when I move the power lever all the way up.  Do I need to purchase a higher wattage controller?  Thank you for all responses.

Joe

phillyreading

Welcome!

May I suggest a more powerful transformer. You need at least an 80 watt transformer; an Atlas 80 watt, MTH Z-1000, Williams 80 watt, or a Lionel KW will have a good amount of power. The engine and passenger car lights both draw power, so you need more than a 40 watt transformer. Also you should have power connections about every five sections of track, even with Fastrac.

Stay away from the Lionel CW-80; a.k.a. can't work. It don't work like most transformers and gives most people plenty of trouble if you don't know how to work around its problems.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

The problem is in your transformer. You need more than a 40 watt unit to power up that locomotive. I agree with the MTH Z-1000 recomendation. About two years ago I purchased an MTH Z-4000 for my layout to replace my old Lionel KW. I have been very pleased with my new transformer. Having enough power to run a locomotive and string of illuminated passenger cars is no problem for the new transformer.
Cobrabob.
Here is my Williams Pennsy small Hudson. My small Lionel CW-80 transformer could not put out enough power to run the engine plus 5 illuminated passenger cars. My Lionel KW and MTH Z-4000 can power it up with no problem at all.

I also ran power leads to the track about every six feet around the layout to keep the power flow to the track more consistent. I run two independant loops off of the MTH Z-4000 and I use my KW from Lionel for the single track lower level loop.

Williams Santa Fe F3s.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

DominicMazoch

Yes, you need a 90W PreWar transformer, or a 75-80w unit now.  The PW ones tend to lose watage over time on due to heat.

NS Glider

You may also want to double check the type of current the transformer is delivering to the track. My layout is Williams only and I run only AC power to the track. Not sure if all Williams Engines are AC but mine is. I also tried the Lionel trans from my starter set and no go. Bought a MRC and no problems at all only one termination on the track and I have the same current throughout. Hope this helps.

phillyreading

Quote from: NS Glider on January 17, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
You may also want to double check the type of current the transformer is delivering to the track. My layout is Williams only and I run only AC power to the track. Not sure if all Williams Engines are AC but mine is. I also tried the Lionel trans from my starter set and no go. Bought a MRC and no problems at all only one termination on the track and I have the same current throughout. Hope this helps.
Most Lionel starter set transformers are very low power. You need to upgrade to a decent 80 or 90 watt transformer, especially if it is a passenger set. Unfortunately I don't recommend Lionel's 80 watt transformer, use another brand!!

Lee F.

M1FredQ

I recently purchased the same engine.
My son and I put in on the track today it ran fine a few times around the track
then stopped cold. The light goes on but no action what so ever on the engine!!!
I am using a trans former from the Lionel Polar Express set. I do have a Lionel ZW but
haven't used it in over 20 years.
Any suggestions?????

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on February 13, 2012, 10:53:06 PM
I recently purchased the same engine.
My son and I put in on the track today it ran fine a few times around the track
then stopped cold. The light goes on but no action what so ever on the engine!!!
I am using a trans former from the Lionel Polar Express set. I do have a Lionel ZW but
haven't used it in over 20 years.
Any suggestions?????
Try using the ZW to power the engine, as most starter set transformers are very basic transformers with very little power.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

phillyreading

Try a known good engine, most likely the ZW is okay. On the ZW the green light should be on when plugged into the wall, sometimes the light bulb is blown.

Or if you have a volt meter hook it up to the ZW's output terminals, one to the U or common, the other to one of the A to D outputs and see if you get at least 20 volts in the A.C. range.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Thanks lee
I will try what you said.
I will be gone a few days won't be back on line till Saturday.
Will post results of my efforts.

Thanks

M1FredQ

To All helpers:

Had a Bachmann Tech call me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow what sevice!!!
He mentioned some circuit board is buned out or malfunctioned and they would replace it. Since they are 8+ weeks in turning repairs over I offered to do it myself. He will send the part after I fax a copy of my receipt. I have NEVER disassembled any of my trains before but thought it would be a good learning session for me and my 8 year old son. He said i could call and he would walk me through it if I have a problem or get stuck. I am impressed with the personal attention of this company I do plan to buy more from them.

Any feedback on their GP-9's??? They look very nice

phillyreading

The GP-9's run very good, at least the old Williams before Bachmann do. They have a very good pulling power for being a smaller engine, sometimes more powerful than an F-7.
I like the SD-45's better for looks, I have three of them by Williams, but my GP-9 is a stronger engine.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Got a call from Service dept
Turns out they want to service the engines themselves
. The repair person who called said he will handle it personally.
He said they want to study what had happened. So I will get it in
the mail sometime this week and keep you all informed of the progress
and eventual results of the repairs!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help