Has anyone ever removed their Big Hauler headlight to paint the inside black?

Started by emjayw, January 11, 2012, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjayw

New to these big trains and very happy with my D&S big Hauler with one small exception:  The "as supplied" headlight is yellow and shows alot of light through its walls.  This diminishes the effect of a bright foeward-facing headbeam to the point that it looks like a yellow see-through pail mounted up there.  Anyone carefully removed, disassembled and painted theirs black inside to rectify this rather glaring defect?  PS: I'd really like a whiter, brighter bulb too.  Mike in TX

NarrowMinded

I have taken them apart,  sometimes they just pop apart other times they don't want to come apart at all so be careful not to damage yours.

As a side note, the lens and reflector from a minimag flashlight fit just about perfect
and create a much better headlight.

you just have to make the ring around the reflector a little thinner, I lay it on a piece of sand paper and rub it back and forthe until it fits well.

here's a few pictures they show how it comes apart and how it looks with the reflector and an led, I used it as a backup light for my Davenport.

also if your afraid of breaking the head light you could always paint it flat black then repaint it yellow.

the first picture shows the reflector sitting in half of the assy.

NM-Jeff

on30gn15

Have dismantled and rebuilt several using different types and sizes of LED. An LED color named "warm white" would be best but some others have been used, just because.
Also drilled and carved out numberboards on side of light so they could be lighted just like real thing.
On this one the back was removed because of way it had been decided to mount lights.

Quote from: NarrowMinded on January 11, 2012, 09:37:05 PMI have taken them apart,  sometimes they just pop apart other times they don't want to come apart at all so be careful not to damage yours.
Yeppers. Random chance as to whether it will pop apart or will seem to have been assembled with half a gallon of superglue.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

If it is hard to take apart I have a trick, but you need an air compressor and nozzle.

I wrap a cloth around the light leaving the bottom hole exposed, then I take the rubber tip of the air nozzle and press firmly against the hole and give it a short blast, this usually will pop even the most stubborn lights apart undamaged.

I also where gloves and safety glasses when I do it.

NM-Jeff