News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Tony or anyone else on RCS.

Started by lrparks, July 19, 2007, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrparks

I'm putting together a simple track layout and working on purchasing one of the Annie 4-6 locos. At most i will be adding 2 passenger cars and a caboose. I will only be running one loco and would like to be able to control speed, lights, and sound. Can you suggest a RCS RX TX combo that suits my simple needs? I like the ~14V ~3.5A battery setup altterrain has since it seems it will provide plenty of power for me. I'm planning on installing the RX on the tender. I just don't think I need the TX24.

altterrain

The Elite 3 is the system you want. I'm not sure what extra do-dads or  battery pack you'll need.

-Brian
President of

Curmudgeon

Well, I hate trail cars.
I consider those to NOT be on-board, rather off-board.
How much run time you need?
2AH NiCads give about 3.5 to 4 hours on a 4-6-0.
I've done several BBT 2-8-0 Anniversary conversions with 4.5AH NiMH, and at 9 hours they are still going strong.

3.3-3.5 AH NiMH in sub "C" will also fit.
NiCads are cheaper and last longer.
The engineering manual states that NiMH have half the recharge cycles of NiCads, and I have definitely proven that in service!

calenelson

Dave helps me with all my RCS stuff, I did an Annie with all in the Tender (a sort of trailcar) and it works great!

It was a pretty easy conversion (w/ Daves' Help!)

I used the Elite 3 and the TX 24 (I began with the EVO and a 2 stick RC) would reccommend going ahead with the TX 24 and Elite to save funds in the long run!

cale

altterrain

Quote from: Curmudgeon on July 19, 2007, 12:30:50 PM
Well, I hate trail cars.
I consider those to NOT be on-board, rather off-board.
How much run time you need?
2AH NiCads give about 3.5 to 4 hours on a 4-6-0.
I've done several BBT 2-8-0 Anniversary conversions with 4.5AH NiMH, and at 9 hours they are still going strong.

3.3-3.5 AH NiMH in sub "C" will also fit.
NiCads are cheaper and last longer.
The engineering manual states that NiMH have half the recharge cycles of NiCads, and I have definitely proven that in service!

Well, you don't like much, Dave  ;). I think he wants to stick it in his tender.

LR,

BBT is Barry's Big Trains. Barry manufactures 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 heavy duty drivetrain conversions for the ten wheeler body. Right now, the stock ten wheeler will pull maybe 4 cars with grades and 6 on flats. The BBT drives will pull many more.

-Brian
President of

lrparks

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm pretty much sold on the RCS system, but has anyone had experience with the Aristocraft Train Engineer system?

new G

lrparks
As I mentioned in a previous quote I am new to G scale RR, but I am planning on fabricating my own R/X and T/X to operate my locos, etc and I believe that by running the proper resistor in line from the track voltage to the R/X that I will not have to depend on any battery power for the R/X no matter what the track voltage is the proper resistor will decrese the track voltage only to the R/X, the loco's and another accessories requiring the full track voltage will still receive the full track voltage for opperation and I will not have to add weight with 11 or 12 nicad or nimh batteries and the only batteries that I will have to worry about are the T/X batteries and I am planning on using lithiom Ion batteries for power in the T/X, these should give me approx. 8 to 12 hours of operating time.
However this aspect is still in the research and planning stage, but I believe that this set up will work.

lrparks

That all sounds good new G, but  trying to get away from track power is one of my primary reasons for my switch to battery power. If need to run for extended periods of time I will invest in two battery packs and alternate charges.

calenelson

Lr, I have played with the AC unit, but to me, it's like apples and oranges!

I have been well pleased with the RCS and I say that here and elsewhere, every-time I'm asked.

In my Annie, with some pretty steep grades, I can run for a min of 4 hours (sound and light)...I assume I could run longer but that is about all the time I care to (currently) spend outside playing with trains.

I have also installed in a BMann Railtruck, and 45 tonner.  I am working on a Saddle Tanker and LGB SV Diesel Switcher.....All RCS, All on 2 TX 24's!

the pocket remote and cruise control are just two great benefits of the TX24 not to mentions real-time sound activation!

RCS just fit me the best! (my now 4 yr old son can use it like a breeze)...

New G, no offense please sir, but Aristo already makes a unit very similar to what you are intending to build (the original TE), why not save the time and expense?  In addition, RCS makes track voltage controllers too!

lrparks

Thanks for all the info. I am now trying to soak all this in and make a good decision ???. Looking like the Elite 3 TX24. Anyone have a good source for batteries. It sounds like NiCd or NiMh are good choices. I just need to decide what Ah I need. 2 Ah will get me, but I migh be greedy and get the higher Ah. The steepest grade I have is 3% while pulling the two passenger cars and caboose with my Annie. Anyone have a good source for batteries?

altterrain

all-battery.com has all types, sizes of singles, packs and chargers.
http://www.all-battery.com/
I should add to get 14.4 volts most use two 7.2v packs in series.

-Brian
President of

new G

lrparks
I take no offense to any comments made on this forum, for it is a learning experience for me.
However the Aristo TE is a $182.00 item and I will be able to fabricate what I believe is a much better setup for less that half that price, the most expensive item in my set up will be the lithium ion batteries, at approx. $20 to $40 and requiring only 1 battery and the recharge time will be approx. 30 to 45 min., however I have not actually built this yet!, however I am confident that it will work as well if not better than Aristo's TE, quite possibly as well or better than anything on the market today.

altterrain

Quote from: new G on July 19, 2007, 05:06:53 PM
however I have not actually built this yet!, however I am confident that it will work as well if not better than Aristo's TE, quite possibly as well or better than anything on the market today.
and I have a nice bridge to sell you in Brooklyn!

Seriously, Polk Hobbies/Aristo and RCS have been in the RC business for decades. I appreciate confidence but let's not make any wild claims until something has been built. Then let us know how much it costs and how many hours of work went in it.

-Brian
President of

new G

allterrain
With all due respect to you and Polk, Aristo and RCS they are only in the business of selling and marketing not engineering and design, they leave this aspect up to the Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
I don't claim to be an electronics expert or engineer, but I do have some experience in fabricating R/C components for model R/C aircraft as that was my first love, however if my idea turns out to be a complete failure everyone on this forum will have my appology.

Tony Walsham

Quote from: new G on July 19, 2007, 05:57:55 PM
allterrain
With all due respect to you and Polk, Aristo and RCS they are only in the business of selling and marketing not engineering and design, they leave this aspect up to the Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
SNIP

Sorry to demur, but, with respect to RCS, that is simply not true.
The TX-24 and RX-8 are both made in Fiji by Elsema Pty Ltd. The TX-24 to my specifications.
Everything else in the RCS range is made right here in Australia by me.  Personally.
Research and design is also done in Australia by a couple of paid consultants and myself.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).