News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pictures of Ez track

Started by darthraven, January 03, 2012, 08:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthraven

I was wondering if anyone has pics of ballasted Ez track I would very much like to see how it can look as a finished project. 

GoCanes

I'll get some up soon.  Did an HO layout and currently doing N scale EZ track ballasting.

I use 50% Folk Art Gray acryllic paint and 50% PVA glue (after weathering and dry brushing the rail and ties) and carefully paint the roadbed (using a small brush to get around/between the ties), then sprinkle fine light grey ballast on.  

When it dries, I brush on a 50/50 water/PVA mix which seals it.  Looks great.  Pics to come ASAP

Ballasting the switches, well that's a bit trickier  :-\

Doneldon

Darth-

Ballasted track looks pretty much the same regardless of what's under it since you cover up what's under it. I haven't noticed that any particular kind of roadbed is especially hard or easy to work on except that cork can be aggrivating unless you knock the angle off of where the horizontal surface starts down its slope.

Quote from: GoCanes on January 03, 2012, 11:19:50 PM

FL Boy-

Truer words were never spoken.

-- D

GoCanes

Quote from: Doneldon on January 04, 2012, 01:25:03 AM
Darth-

Ballasted track looks pretty much the same regardless of what's under it since you cover up what's under it. I haven't noticed that any particular kind of roadbed is especially hard or easy to work on except that cork can be aggrivating unless you knock the angle off of where the horizontal surface starts down its slope.

Quote from: GoCanes on January 03, 2012, 11:19:50 PM

FL Boy-

Truer words were never spoken.

-- D

It may be blasphemy, but I did use a dark wask and drybushing on the naked N scale roadbed, and at a distance of a couple feet, it looks pretty convincing (the N scale EZ actually has a more detailed roadbed than the HO)  I went ahead and ballasted it (the wash/drybrush was just an experiment) , but it would work in a pinch for someone who wanted a better looking temporary track.

That said, ballast it!

darthraven

I do plan on ballasting whatever track it is I decide to invest in, I'm just worried about the look of the E-Z track as a finished product. 

rogertra

Quote from: darthraven on January 07, 2012, 01:06:11 PM
I do plan on ballasting whatever track it is I decide to invest in, I'm just worried about the look of the E-Z track as a finished product. 

E-Z track is, by definition, an entry level track system. which is a polite way of calling it train set track.  For a far more realistic looking track you need to go to code 83 or smaller flex track or hand laid track.  Personally I've never purchased any brand of set track since I was 14 years or so old.

Ken G Price

Mike Fifer has a whole video on ballasting that type of track.
Do a search and I am sure you will find it.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jerrys HO

dart
I use all NS EZ track and do not see why some call it an entry level track. It looks great and is the same as any code 100 track on the market with or without road bed.
I am just getting started ballasting it and it looks great. I believe jonathan posted he used some on his layout in certain places. check out his photobucket link it may show some pics. I have also rusted the rails and ties. Although code 100 is not  geometrically to scale as the real railroads only rivet counters can tell. No offense to you rivet counters.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 07, 2012, 06:35:31 PM
dart
I use all NS EZ track and do not see why some call it an entry level track. It looks great and is the same as any code 100 track on the market with or without road bed. Jerry

ALL snap track is considered as entry level.  As your skill level and knowledge of how railroads work evolves, you move away from the train set and start building model railroads.  You mention Code 100 track.  Other than a very small percentage of North American trackage, Code 100 is way over scale and was developed back in the late 1940s when wheels were like steam roller wheels.  Until recently, in the past 10 to 15 years, the vast majority of rtr locomotives and rolling stock came with wheels that required Code 100 track.  These days, thanks to Bachmann Spectrum and their 2-8-0, the bar has been raised.  These days practically all model railroad locomotives and rolling stock come with RP25 wheels, negating the use of Code 100 rail.  Unfortunately, toy train makers still make Code 100 snap track, Bachmann included.

Why do you think you never see set track model railroads in magazines line Model Railroader and Model Railroad Craftsman.  Yes, MR once build a project railway from E-Z track but wouldn't you if one of your major advertisers was Bachmann?   :)

Sorry but in my opinion, Code 100 set track always looks like Code 100 set track, no matter the manufacturer.

BTW, I do own one circle of set track, code 100 rail, manufacturer unknown.  It's stored on its side in the basement and is used to break in new models as I don't have a continuous run.

darthraven

I watched his video thanks,  his was kato unitrack I assume there is not much difference in it and Ez Track though.  His finished product looked much better than just the roadbed though it seemed kinda sloppy as a finished product.  I am pretty sure though it was caused by the way he applied the glue and not the track itself.  I am quite looking forward to seeing yours Jerry.

napa15

I don't have any of my pictures posted to my Picasa page yet, but can post them tomorrow so you can see more sloe up shots. But, I can post a video of my layout before adding the ballast to my EZ track and a video of after. I don't really have any other scenery added, so you can kind of get a good idea I think from the two videos of what the ballast adds to the EX track. I think it adds to it a LOT and I can't imagine not adding it. I have weatherd my track, though I am a novice and have never done this before.

I simply painted my track a flat rust brown.. the entire track. I don't know why, but then I went and painted the "ballasted area" that's there gray. I have no idea why I did it, because then I thought about it.. that it would be covered with the actual ballast. Oh well. I did a lot of Youtube searching for tutorial on guys showing how to ballast EZ track. I basically went with my own thing using some processes from a mix of the videos I saw. After I ballasted the track I did some other weathering to the center of the ties to give it some more realism as if trains had been running on it for some time. I have not gone back and weathered the ties over all to make them more weathered, nor have I done any other weathering to the ballast. Mine are not perfect and are done by a rookie. But, I am satisfied with them for right now. Once I get to the point where I finish out more of the scenery on bottom and the track and scenery on the upper level I will finish out the track weathering overall, but not for a long time.

Before ballasting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VJAzOSFEI&list=UUCCFdpXt-D-yp4c5rEJeDlA&index=2&feature=plcp

After ballasting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxi5OvxFh60&list=UUCCFdpXt-D-yp4c5rEJeDlA&index=1&feature=plcp

Chuck

Ken G Price

Ballasting in the real world looks kind of sloppy unless it is on main lines and/or fairly recently laid down.
Like many things in model railroading you can do as much or as little and every thing in between as you wish.
That's why ten different people can come up with 10 different looks to layout even if the layouts are of the same type of scenic areas.

It is fun;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

darthraven

It's not a question of if I am going to ballast or not,  I am going to, it is a question of whether or not I am going to use E-Z track when I do my layout.

Jerrys HO

Chuck
Nicely done. Hope to get pics of mine up soon.
Food for thought- try adding a little bush or spotty grass in the talus in between the tracks. Breaks it up a little and adds flavor.

Jerry