News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switches shorting out

Started by pennsy6193, January 24, 2012, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennsy6193

I recently bought Mth scaletrax. Well to make a long story short all six switches I bought short out. Everytime a engine or passenger car goes over it, I get sparks and it shorts out. I'm about ready to return all the track. Has anyone else had this problem? I have contacted Mth but have gotten no reply. Can anyone help?

richg

Get your NMRA gauge out and check the turnouts.
Check the wheels.

Most probably the turnouts. Never assume the wheels and turnouts are properly gauged.

Rich

phillyreading

You may get better results over on Classic Toy Train forum.
From what I read on other forums about the MTH switches in question, get rid of the switches as they are trash.
Also Lionel had a bad run of switches as well, in O gauge 6-23010 & 23011 were duds from the word go!! The more I used a 6-23010 series switch the more problems that happened, first it was the switch throw going crazy, then the power to the switch died and I was using constant voltage hook-up to the switch.

Lee F.

richg

Quote from: phillyreading on January 25, 2012, 03:28:46 PM
You may get better results over on Classic Toy Train forum.
From what I read on other forums about the MTH switches in question, get rid of the switches as they are trash.
Also Lionel had a bad run of switches as well, in O gauge 6-23010 & 23011 were duds from the word go!! The more I used a 6-23010 series switch the more problems that happened, first it was the switch throw going crazy, then the power to the switch died and I was using constant voltage hook-up to the switch.

Lee F.

I did a little searching. THere is a lot to look at but some seem to have a similar problem.

http://tinyurl.com/7r2bl5b

Rich

pennsy6193

Thanks everyone for the help and answers.